1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Soft spot?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Jerry and Sons, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Just finished excavating for a paver patio. While compacting soil I found a 4x4 area that was very soft and moved while walking on it. I then dug the 4x4 area another 2 feet deep and still it is soft, so I dug another 2 feet, and still the same. Any suggestions on how to handle. I do not want this soft spot to transfer to the top of the patio. Thanks for any suggestions.:hammerhead:

2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

Search my friend, it's been covered a dozen times on this site
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

why wouldn't you just help the guy ? he's obviously trying to do good work and not phishing for step by step instruction

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

compacted base material should do the trick. you already dug it out? thats the hard part!

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I had one in a patio job what I did took itdown 3ft and filled it with B6X pack it every foot Patio never moved that was 12-13 yrs ago thinking know was in late 90s

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

There are more than one method too fixing this problem. We encountered one this year and I took it down 7'. I back filled with 2" clear and compacted every foot or so with large plate compactor. When I got to the regular excavation depth I laid in a geo tex over top and continued with my project. Other ways would include adding dry portland cement to the affected area.