Soil Moisture Sensors-Your favorite brand for HOAs

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Love the Green Biz, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Recently I came across the Spiio soil moisture sensor and would like to hear from anyone using this brand.

Also if you are using a soil moisture sensor please share your favorite brand, insights and experiences.

2. OP
    OP
    Love the Green Biz

I just purchased the new Spiio soil moisture, temperature and salinity sensor. It is a cellular based data device and I will be installing them on several HOAs in the near future. Could be a game changer-useful for soil moisture and for applying various lawn treatments by correct soil temps.

I will share the results next Spring and Summer.

Here is their link:

https://spiio.com/

hort101 likes this.
  3. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of "Spiio" i have used baseline and irrometer.

4. OP
    OP
    Love the Green Biz

I had made arrangements to meet them at their booth during the IA show.
    They are the new boys on the block-I am currently awaiting my first four to ship.

While I was at the irrigation show in Long Beach I sat in on a presentation by Bernardo Cárdenas of the Agricultural & Biological Engineering Dept. U. FL.

The title of his talk was "5+ Years of Testing Smart Irrigation Controllers in Single Family Homes" See the link:

https://www.irrigation.org/IA/FileU...tion_Water_Conservation_Programs_CARDENAS.pdf

He tested 2 "smart" controllers and used the Baseline WaterTec S100 as a stand alone controller.

Check out the conclusion page-the Baseline won out.

The Spiio website has minimum information and I will be testing them this Spring and will report back. If they perform as advertised coupled with the cellular network reporting that includes moisture, temps and salinity it will make me a happy camper.

hort101 likes this.
  5. WacoSprinkler

WacoSprinkler LawnSite Member

This is very interesting, but I'm not sure it goes quite far enough. It saves water and I would expect that I guess. They provide the percentage, but how can that be applied to a customer home? HOA would be easier because most of their water goes to irrigation. To be compelling we need to be able to convince our customers that it saves money and estimate when they will break even. So we need to understand the cost of a proper installation also.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Love the Green Biz

I'm back with an update of the product. I installed two Spiio sensors on Tuesday in two different locations 1/2 mile apart in a large HOA. The top data and pic is mostly sand and the lower a sandy red clay. Note that the readings are 24 hours after the rains stopped so field capacity is close to done in the top pic but still saturated in the lower pic (30% vs. 72%).

The data is resent every 5 hours. I can slide my cursor along the top graph and get moisture readings at a 6" depth or I can do the same on the bottom graph and get soil temps, light (though this feature is muted due to 2" of turf cover-better used for planters and beds) and moisture.

Soil temps currently are 43-44F and can be used by Landscapers and Lawn Treatment companies to get a heads up on proper application timing. This data is sent via a cellular link and the batteries are good for 5 years. Data plans start at $48/year per unit-first year included with purchase.

This information is going to be a great resource towards Water Management efficiency in the upcoming season. I have two more sensors to place at other HOAs that I am managing and will be purchasing many more as I have dozens of HOAs to monitor. Anyone interested in purchasing can use this link:

https://spiio.com/order-spiio/
    111.png 102.png

7. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I assume you’re not watering yet? I’d be curious to see the graph immediately after watering and then the next couple days before you water again. Also how a rain even is graphed and how that “recovers”

8. OP
    OP
    Love the Green Biz

Still no watering but plenty of Rain-2 inches Saturday and another 1/2 Monday. Current #s at 5 PM 4-24-19: Note moisture rising from 57 to 61%. Temps also on the upswing.

Spiio 4-24.png