1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

soil pH testers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wolfpacklawn, Aug 2, 2002.

1. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

How well do they work? I'm talking about the ones you just stick into the ground and they give you a reading of the soil pH. Also i've seen a fertilizer analyzer that is supposed to give you a composite reading of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash. How do those work?

What is the best way to know what/how much fertilizer a lawn needs?

2. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

The best ways to know how much fert your turf needs in a given year is to do a soil test. Also you have to know what species of turf you are dealing with. Fescues only need 1 - 2 lbs of N per year, whereas Bentgrass, Bluegrass, and Ryegrass need 3 - 5 lbs of N per year.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

go to www.forestry-suppliers.com, they have a very wide selection on both instraments you mentioned, as well as many other tools you might need.

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I have used them before in contanier plantings. I got a reading, so I guess they work. I would not use it for large areas(soil test)