• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

soil testing

redclay

LawnSite Member
thumbing thru catalog and came across soil testing kits (used in nursery/greenhouses). has any one used these? are they accurate? thought they might be useful when customer wants fert./lime/other app. and doesn't want to wait for complete test to come back. anyone had any expeerience? thanks

Planter

LawnSite Member
The ones that I have tried (10 years ago) gave a very general result and I concluded they were not worth the time an effort. It is easier for me to just pull the samples and send them to the ag college for a good analysis at $10.00 per sample. The customer pays and is impressed with the nice print out they send back.

DiscoveryLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an old home owner version of a test kit in my wharehouse. I am going to send a sample to CLC labs and use the homeowner version on the same soil to test the acuaracy. I'll post what the results are when I get them.
Great question.

Turf Troll

LawnSite Member
I rather take the sample and drop it off @ $7.50 doing 50 to 100 a year it would be to much a hassel to do it my self and they(cooperative extension) provide a wider range of results.

OP
R

redclay

LawnSite Member
thanks for replies. I'm not looking to replace complete test for lawns. I also do erosion control/hydroseeding; thought it might be better than just guessing on what ground might need. We get the "ive got to have something done before it rains " calls more and more.

LonniesLawns

LawnSite Senior Member
Mds harris gives me next day turn around almost everyt ime. Priority mail a box of them for 4 or 5 bucks and I have a full the results in 3 days.

To me -- if you aren't doing the soil test -- your better off not douing one at all. The others are too accurate and you ar emor elikely to hurt the soil than help it!