• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Soil Testing

OrangeToys

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does anyone do soil test? and how do you do them (send them off, do it yourself)?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I do. New accounts with old landscaping and already established lawn. I want to know what is there, what is missing and what is in excess. Common problem is too much phosphorus and pH way off.

My samples go to A & L Laboratories, Modesto, California. Simple process. One pint of dry soil goes into a plastic bag. I do not handle the sample with bare hands at any time, the sampling is done with a stainless steel garden trowel that is only used for this purpose. My Agrium dealer is the rep for that lab. $35 and 10 business days later, I have answers. Good answers to comments like "I/the gardeners did apply fertilizer, but not much happened".

OP
OrangeToys

OrangeToys

LawnSite Bronze Member
can you post a pic of your tool?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
What I charge per month of lawn and landscape care more than covers the cost of a soil test. People here do not take well to being nickel and dimed over things. My position on soil testing sets me apart from others in the business. They make a real big deal out of it and soak the customer over it. Soil tests are part of the service.