1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Soil Testing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by OrangeToys, Feb 25, 2010.

1. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

Does anyone do soil test? and how do you do them (send them off, do it yourself)?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do. New accounts with old landscaping and already established lawn. I want to know what is there, what is missing and what is in excess. Common problem is too much phosphorus and pH way off.

My samples go to A & L Laboratories, Modesto, California. Simple process. One pint of dry soil goes into a plastic bag. I do not handle the sample with bare hands at any time, the sampling is done with a stainless steel garden trowel that is only used for this purpose. My Agrium dealer is the rep for that lab. $35 and 10 business days later, I have answers. Good answers to comments like "I/the gardeners did apply fertilizer, but not much happened".

3. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

can you post a pic of your tool?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I can, but this is not the time, or place, LOL. Go to gemplers.com, they have about 20 different types of soil test probes. If you don't have the $, you can make one out of a core aerator tooth, attached to a wooden or steel handle.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I push my clients into doing soil tests whenever possible. I like to know what is exactly going on.

We have a lab 45 minutes away and I just take them there whenever I need to.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

What I charge per month of lawn and landscape care more than covers the cost of a soil test. People here do not take well to being nickel and dimed over things. My position on soil testing sets me apart from others in the business. They make a real big deal out of it and soak the customer over it. Soil tests are part of the service.