Sole Prop. 1 man crew - need workers comp?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Smokey5826, Apr 12, 2008.

  1. Smokey5826

    Smokey5826 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 11

    I put a bid in on a church property and they mentioned that if hired, they would need current documents that state I pay into workers comp. as well as insurance, etc... My question is, "I am set up sole properity, with just me as only employee, am I required to carry workers comp? I have heard that sole prop, sole employee does not require it...does anyone know more info / gov't link where I can find a definate answer... any help appreciated. Thanks for your time...
  2. Rcgm

    Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 326

    No you do not need work comp if you are the only employee. You can go to the state and get a work comp waver and give it to them. If they want you to have work comp for the church and you are the only employee do the math work comp is not cheap and you might not want to take on that contract.

  3. Two Seasons

    Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791

    Officers (owners of a corp) do not need to get workers comp in WI. Here again there is a caveat: If this is a full-time job for you and you ARE NOT covered under your spouses health insurance plan, you may want to get in touch with your insurance agent and talk over workers comp with them. There are many companies that are registered in WI to sell workers comp, so the same must be true in OH. Check your state web site and they may have a list like WI does on which companies are allowed to sell WC in your state.

    By the way, workers comp in WI is based on the risk, so for an example lets say you are a lumberjack, percentage wise, your employer (you) will pay more than if you were employed at MCDonalds.
  4. kleankutslawn

    kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,185

    Here in Fl. all you have to do is go and get your exempt papers
  5. slone

    slone LawnSite Member
    Messages: 114

    You Don't Need Wc If You Are Sole Prop. You Can Elect Coverage If You Want. You Will Have To Claim $365 A Week As Your Min. On Yourself. The Bohio Wc Has Several Local Offices Around This Area. Give Them A Call

Share This Page