• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Sole Proprietorship vs LLC?

CJIII1983

LawnSite Member
I am getting my equipment, to start my part time lawn business a Honda HRC216 21'' Commercial Mower, Stihl FS91R String Trimmer, Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer, the BR600 are on backpack orders. I am should start as sole proprietor or form a LLC? looking to get 10 or 15 customers.

OP
C

CJIII1983

LawnSite Member
I can always change over to a LLC when I upgrade to a ZTR.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I am getting my equipment, to start my part time lawn business a Honda HRC216 21'' Commercial Mower, Stihl FS91R String Trimmer, Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer, the BR600 are on backpack orders. I am should start as sole proprietor or form a LLC? looking to get 10 or 15 customers.
Technically
An LLC is consisted of more than one person
Technically

more than anything else it depends on how you file your taxes and your liability exposure.
I think there may be a difference on workers comp... maybe

legal entities are so vague post patriot act
I don’t bother worrying about anything below c Corp and a Corp anymore

in your case I don’t think it matters enough to sweat over

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Just remember, if you try to get a loan, your LLC will have a different TIN so you may not have any credit, and the startup date will be more recent which are both major factors in loan approval.
Any new company will require a personal guarantee anyway (your loan , not the company loan)
Won’t matter if it’s llc or sole prop