Solo Guy Trying to Expand

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by EoriosLawn, Jun 14, 2018.

1. EoriosLawn

EoriosLawn LawnSite Member

So i post the other day about dump trailer rentals. I’m a solo guy in my first full year of business. I have about 40 weekly lawns i cut and i pick up small landscape jobs here and there. I’m looking fo ideas on what i can do to expand and make more profit. Different services and such.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Gardening/ garden maintenance is one of my highest margin services.

Small installs bring a nice chunk in to.

Fertility and weed control programs are easy add ons.

One thing I did when I had alot more time then work. Was check over current clients properties for work. Do the bushes need trimmed? Open bed space needs filled with new plant? Thin lawn gets overseed? Etc..

3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Up selling vs waiting for the customer to ask you to do something : depending on time of the season I text or email every customer offering services . I keep it simple “Hello I am starting spring Cleanup in April and Mulch in May . Let me know if you would like either service and I will add you to the schedule”.
    Ppl won’t always ask but that doesn’t mean you can’t sell them on a service. Aeration & overseeding for example I never even offered for years and no one asked. Once I started selling ppl on it now it’s an extra few grand every fall.

Matthews Lawn Care and hort101 like this.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

Your location would be helpful.

hort101 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

40 lawns in your first year? :dizzy:

it took me 8 years to get up to 40 lawns. :laugh:

6. EoriosLawn

Northeast Ohio

hort101 likes this.
  7. EoriosLawn

I got pretty lucky. Spent some money on advertising but it was worth it.

8. EoriosLawn

I looked into fertilizing but wasn’t sure if i want to deal with all the tests and the EPA being my first year
    e

9. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Very strict in most states you have to be licensed even for organic and it’s not an easy certification/ test.

10. Guitargain

Guitargain LawnSite Member

I count my blessings every day man. I work EMS for our county so I work 24 on 48 off. I started last year around June and got about 5 accounts just to pay my Scag mower payment. About a month after I bought it a friend that had a small lawn service GAVE me about 20 accounts because he had to get out of the business due to family obligations. Picked up a few more last year, and this year I have picked up quite a few. I am now up to almost 40 accounts. I took the guy and his fiancé out to dinner to show my appreciation last year, but thinking I am gonna take em out again. I probably would be nowhere near where I am in accounts had he not given me the 20.