1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Solo guys and boredom

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. nriddle77

    nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 271

    Solo guys, lets hear it, how do you deal with boredom?
    This time of year things get a little stale for me. I work alone 100% of the time, and sometimes my biggest challenge is finding the interest to keep going. Can anyone relate to this?
  2. Shuter

    Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,171

    One big help is Peltor Hearing protection with a radio in it. This helps pass the time. I can be hard to pass the time as I cut the same properties every week at the same time, same route.
  3. imograss

    imograss LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 796

    I agree, headphones w/ radio makes my day go by faster.
  4. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,937

    I work solo part of the time, with my wife helping me the other times. This is the worst season for me, but not from boredom of routine work. I've really had trouble getting motivated because of my discouragement over lack of work. When I was working 12-13 hour days, I was fine. But, the dry spell here has taken about 60% of my mowing work for the past five weeks. On Wednesday, I drove by all seven properties on my list for the day, not mowing one of them. That was discouraging. Tomorrow I have eight on my list (as per usual schedule), but expect to mow only three.

    Yes, I have done some bush trimming and some mulching work, but the losses in cash are now assured of making the season a loser. That fact makes the situation more frustrating than working long days myself.

    What makes it even a bit more disturbing is communities not far from here are plush with green grass, mowing at least weekly. Friday, I talked with a man living about 15 miles away -- cutting every 5-6 days, never watered his vegatable garden all year. In my neighborhoods, any lawn not irrigated is pretty well dormant -- not growing and brown as a carpet.
  5. all ferris

    all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,309

    I daydream
  6. siclmn

    siclmn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 364

    I got so bored that I went and bought a motorcycle.
  7. lawnprosteveo

    lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa
    Messages: 1,930

    I know exactly what you mean. I am solo about 95% of the time...wife helps out the other 5%. I listen to lots of different music, talk radio, just try to keep entertained the best I can...
  8. jt5019

    jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,432

    Music helps, but i still get bored doing the same route every week. So i bought a atv to have something to look forward to when i get home. :)
  9. sildoc

    sildoc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,925

    Peltors for when I am mowing or using power tools, and a mp3 player when I am not. As before day dreaming works and the fact that summer brings out bikinis and that I have many accounts around parks and lakes, I find that bordom is a lack of imagination.
    That and My days are near half that from fall and winter and stil pull in the same amount weather I mow or not.
  10. tinman

    tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga
    Messages: 1,346

    Gotta have a radio / mp3 player.. even if you get bored with music...download some podcasts on business, your hobbys, etc.... do a search for podcasts. Basically it is a mp3 you can download. Some good info & entertainment for free online. It's like having a book or magazine read to you while mowing.

Share This Page