Solu-Cal / Lime

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by coolbrze, Feb 13, 2018.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member
    from VA

Is Solu-Cal a good product to put down or should I go w/ a different kind of Lime? If so, when is the best time to apply here in VA (Zone 7)?

2. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

I personally don’t believe soulucal is better than regular pellet lime, it looks smells & tastes just like regular lime. Only it costs 5 times as much.

Film likes this.
  3. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I was somewhat skeptical about this product when it first came out years ago. Having used now for the last rew years I can say that it does work. My soil tests prove that.

One of the applications in my annual program is lime. Only the rate of Application changes...light to maintain or heavier to increase the pH. Has work well for me.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I have pricing coming for Solu cal. I am mainly interested in using as a summer pre-conditioner with humic/fulvic and wetting agent. It applies a maintenance rate of calcium. I may also look at corrective rates of solu cal in the fall where needed mainly for bag handling and the lack of dust.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

On the rare occasion I need to add Ca rather than get rid of it, I use Calcium Nitrate as part of or all of the N fertilizer. It does not change soil pH except as part of displacing Mg and Na. I have had to use it on Na affected soils as a corrective.

6. Next Level Turf Care

Next Level Turf Care LawnSite Member

Solu-Cal is a great product in my opinion! Lime is something that you can apply anytime of the year. If I was going to apply your regular straight up lime I prefer to do the application sometime between January-March because of the amount of time that it takes for the lime to break down in the soil. It takes months for those nutrients to be available in the soil compared to weeks for Solu-Cal. I apply Solu-Cal sometime between July to August so I can have all those nutrients available when it's time to aerate and seed in the fall. I'm also in VA (Zone 7)

7. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks everyone. How far in advance of seeding do I need to apply Solu-Cal? If at the time of seeding, do I also apply starter fertilizer?

8. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I'd do starter and Solucal at the same time with the seeding. The more I learn about this product the more I like.

hort101 likes this.
  9. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks! Called our supplier & they said they have the Solu-Cal w/ Gypsum but not the Solu-Cal w/ Lime. What's gypsum used for?

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Other products similar to this are Kelly's Maxi Cal and Verde Cal. In your experience is any one less dusty than the others?