1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Some answers about using old debts.com

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Soupy

    Soupy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,125

    I was searching through some threads last night about collecting bad debt. Well during the search I found many questions about using old debt.com. Here is the answerer's they gave me after emailing them. I tried to cover most questions I found on here. Here is their response.

    Yes. You can legally report any legitimate debt to the credit bureaus.
    - No. You are not required to have a signed contract. Although one is helpful, an NSF check or an invoice for legitimate services performed is sufficient.
    - The information is updated to the credit bureaus when you update their account through us, on OldDebt.com. You'll have the choice to mark the account as paid or to delete it entirely from the credit bureaus.
    - The bare minimum information needed is name, address, account balance, and date of delinquency (when the balance owed became past due)
    - NCOA means National Change of Address. If you know they recently moved and do not have a current address for the debtor, NCOA will attempt to find a new address.
    - The age of the debt varies in a states. We advise contacting your local small claims court - an advisor there should be able to tell you how old of a debt you can file a small clams on. That would be the same for attempting to collect it.
  2. Soupy

    Soupy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,125

    Oh... here is the email I sent them. I must give them credit for answering in less then 24 hours especially since a holiday.

    Hi, I am interested in trying your service. I have a few questions. I own a sole proprietor lawn service. If I order your packages can I legally have non payers reported to the credit bureaus? Do I have to have a signed agreement (I have one for some, but not all)? Also, if I report to credit bureau how is the info updated or removed after payment is received? What information do I have to provide other then name, address, and account balance? If I use NCOA do I need additional information? last question, how old can the debt be?

Share This Page