Some light reading material

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ll add that I won’t survive very long winging my numbers, I do realize this but I’m still new and growth has been a handful.

you should make that your very first priority, if you want a substantial business.

it all seems like things are going ok for a number of years, then one day you wake up and realize that you have been taking a lot of risk for average reward. You realize you work a lot of hours for less pay. You realize it’s time to step off the crew or build a real business that has a value for resale.

and that’s when having solid numbers starts to help you make educated decisions.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
you should make that your very first priority, if you want a substantial business.

it all seems like things are going ok for a number of years, then one day you wake up and realize that you have been taking a lot of risk for average reward. You realize you work a lot of hours for less pay. You realize it’s time to step off the crew or build a real business that has a value for resale.

and that’s when having solid numbers starts to help you make educated decisions.
Heard that

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Heard that
You can’t even begin to make educated decisions otherwise. You might as well throw darts at the wall.

it would amaze you how so many guys (including myself for a long time) run their business by the seat of their pants, looking at their bank balance. 95% of guys on here probably think you need to have industry experience to run a lawn business. Gets fare from the truth. The moment you start to run your business like a business person would, you explode with possibility’s and growth. It becomes more fun after reaching a certain point. Little things don’t bother you nearly as much. Problems that would have killed your business before, become laughable.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ll give you an example, not trying to beat you up on your mower purchase. Have you determined the ROI on that mower, how long will it take to pay for itself.

just for a second - imagine if you had done the opposite. What if you have taken that $3,000 and spent it on marketing or a website. You had a problem that you could not work due to wet conditions. What if you had advertised drain pipe installation which gets probably double the hourly rate as the mower.

I’m not beating you up on it, I’m pointing out how real business people think. What thing can you do, or what can you sink money into that will create the fastest return on investment. What ever that thing is, 95% of the time, that’s exactly what you should do.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I’ll give you an example, not trying to beat you up on your mower purchase. Have you determined the ROI on that mower, how long will it take to pay for itself.

just for a second - imagine if you had done the opposite. What if you have taken that $3,000 and spent it on marketing or a website. You had a problem that you could not work due to wet conditions. What if you had advertised drain pipe installation which gets probably double the hourly rate as the mower.

I’m not beating you up on it, I’m pointing out how real business people think. What thing can you do, or what can you sink money into that will create the fastest return on investment. What ever that thing is, 95% of the time, that’s exactly what you should do.
The 32” walk saved me again last week, I mowed all my lawns with it. How much would I have lost in time pushing a 21 on everything? All of the lost time I didn’t have over the course of about a month now. There’s a lot of value in not mowing on Sunday for me. So many more small guys out mowing yesterday (Sunday) then usual. How do I put value on that? Well drained or not the soil around here is soft.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of buying a mower to service his existing clients you wanted him to start a drainage business in which he has 0 experience. Business guy or not, it takes experience and planning to execute something like that.

It’s like saying after a storm instead of mowing lawns become a tree guy, grab a chainsaw and get some of that money. That’s not what he does, he currently mows lawns.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Instead of buying a mower to service his existing clients you wanted him to start a drainage business in which he has 0 experience. Business guy or not, it takes experience and planning to execute something like that.

It’s like saying after a storm instead of mowing lawns become a tree guy, grab a chainsaw and get some of that money. That’s not what he does, he currently mows lawns.
Never mind digging ditches in mud so soft you can't drive a mower on.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member

You act like it’s rocket science. It’s not. It’s moving water and all you need is a shovel and a brain.

he also could have taken the money and advertised for bed/bush or simply more mowing customers.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
The 32” walk saved me again last week, I mowed all my lawns with it. How much would I have lost in time pushing a 21 on everything? All of the lost time I didn’t have over the course of about a month now. There’s a lot of value in not mowing on Sunday for me. So many more small guys out mowing yesterday (Sunday) then usual. How do I put value on that? Well drained or not the soil around here is soft.
Your not grasping the concept of how ROI works. I can appreciate that you feel it was a necessary purchase and maybe it was your only means to get things done. But that doesn’t mean it was a good ROI. Maybe it was. How many lawns have you mowed with it so fare ? Exact numbers

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Where’s he gonna put the extra dirt, in the rav4? French drains take planning and know how. Not sure what drainage you’re referring to. Digging ditches with a shovel sounds fun, I’d rather mow, and I’m getting out of the mowing business.

Top Forums