1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Some of you guys are scaring the heck out of me!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CLT Bluesman, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Taking preorders now. Just pm me.

FYI it's Big J and the Trimmers.

zlandman, Cam15 and rclawn like this.
  2. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

loved your last mixed tape with hits such as:
    1 how much would you charge 2 stander vs rider. 3 stay small or get big 4 who’s working the holidays

And your biggest hit of all Lowballers

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  3. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

And the b side
    What Software Do You Use

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  4. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Do you have facts that back up those statements? May I see those statistics please?

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Do you own research
    Go to seminars , read, talk to people
    Statistics on this have been out there for decades.

the solo wannabe contractor (particularly landscapers mainly due to the incredibly low barrier to entry) is one of the more likely business ventures to fail (guesstimates our the true number at close to 90 percent)

actual numbers aren’t accurate enough because they don’t take into account businesses that no one ever knew existed (never went legit, never had a business license or registered entity)
    You can’t have a “phantom restaurant” but many “contractors” never are ever actually legit.
    Therefor statistics only show fail rates on the “known” businesses
    In landscaping there are almost as many “ghosts” are there are real/registered businesses.... in some areas the ghosts actually out number the legit businesses.

those business endeavors rarely outlive the “side hustle” phase.
    But it’s still a failed attempt at self employment.

the food truck/cart thing fails at a higher rate than a brick and mortar restaurant for the same reason landscapers fail more readily... lower barrier to entry, less thought and preparation put into the start up.

6. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

I think most fail because they fail to plan or fail to execute a plan. Most don’t have business training. And I know a ton of people here would say you don’t need it, but after building a company over a million, I know the path on how to do it way faster and business training would help.

so you need a plan, with targets and goals. Then remember, it’s all a math problem. If you want to invoice 500k per year, and your average client spends $2500 with you per season then you need 200 clients. If the average marketing cost is $50 per
    Lead and you close 50% that means you need 400 leads, to get 200 clients and that you should be spending $20,000 on marketing. You can back door engineer nearly everything in business and in this industry. Just most don’t ever connect the dots. And if they do connect them, they don’t act on them. Our of fear or being nervous. Thinking they can’t afford it, but reality is done properly it will work and pay off.

7. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

What nice about the math I just gave you (which I pulled out of my head randomly with prior business knowledge). Is that it’s actually possible. A decent marketing budget is going to be 4-5%. The above is 4%. What happens if you can’t swing 20k this year... we’ll take the revenue you do make, multiple by 4% and that’s what you should safely spend. That will buy you some new customers, and if you keep your present ones happy that means you grow. So then you can repeat the math problem and predict within reason what you could grow to at a reasonable pace 2-3 years down the road, provided you run a good business. That also means you can within reason predict what you personally could expect to keep as pay and as profit for yourself each year.

Mark Stark and hort101 like this.
  8. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

You’re saying ‘statistically speaking’, but can’t provide stats. I would suggest to provide some facts. This is exactly why this guy is scared without reason. If landscaping had such a large failure rate of legitimate business statistics would show. I wouldn’t count a non legitimate business to provide any sort of actual reason. You don’t know what every illegitimate outfit has or done. Quit scaring this guy lol....

9. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I've been watching this thread for a couple days now and keep going back to the original post. Bluesman you say in 20 months you want to start drawing your social security. It is my understanding that in order to do this you cannot own a business and be getting income from it. I could be wrong on that and if thats the case, it won't take long for someone to correct me on that. So right away you face several hurdles to be legit.
    It is my personnel opinion that someone should be able to draw their SS at 65 regardless if they have income or not. Its your money and I think you better get it back from big brother while you can, but that isn't the way the rules are written now and we all have to play by the same rules. So Bluesman can I get a little clarification here where things get a little fuzzy for me?

hort101 likes this.
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe his wife owns a mowing business and he just sits at home collecting a SS check?

Mark Stark and Cam15 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.