1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Some of you may be Right!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I don't necessarily agree with some of you guys when it comes to the older folks (As per your replies to my I'm i crazy thread) But i went to do an estimate tonight the elderly lady wanted FULL service weekly here is what she had:
    4000 Sq Ft Lawn
    1600 Sq Ft Garden area Shrubs out the nose and plants all over. And over grown had not been weeded in a month of Sundays.

So i told her that there was no way i would be close to the last guys (Who just quit coming to do her yard) price even through i did not know what he charged her but i knew it wasn’t enough.
    So i told her full service = $130.00 a month, She said but you can come down on your price I’m a little old lady on a fixed income and an oxygen bottle!
    I asked what did the last guy charge you she said $70.00 a month. I said and look what you got for it your grass cut and nothing more! Thank you for calling Willow Brooke Landscape and I left.

Sorry for the long post

Chuck

2. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Good going Chuck! It took me a while before I would say 'NO' to customers and walk away. They aren't worth the trouble!

Alan

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait she'll call back.and when she does charge for the clean up.Older folks have a way of adjusting it just takes them longer.

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-13-2000 at 03:20 AM]

4. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I have had a few estimates like that. Knowadays when an old lady calls and I head over there to (help her out) and find a weed infested yard with junk everywhere I won't even go to the door. I feel bad just leaving but I know once I talk to this old lady I will start to feel bad and will do the work for whatever she can afford, which is OK once in a while to help an old lady in need but I do have bills to pay, and I try not to make a big habbit out of it. Some nice old ladies I will make an acception for, Some Old B!+ch forget it

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im proud of you for saying that, that was the most profession thing you could have siad you watch shell call back.

6. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

Dont you hate customers that are trying to screw you over.The sad thing is most of them have money. I had a guy that we estimated 25 for mowing he thought that was too much. Then he pulls a wad of 20000 of 100 dollar bills figures.

7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Good job, It's hard to walk away sometimes but your better for it. If you did the $70.00 you would be wondering all the time what else and how much you could be making in this time slot. plus it gives her a reality check!

8. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Chuck,I would have the same thing and have.If you do want the client at your price I would cll back in a few days just to "follow-up"

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Chuck,

I don't think any of us were telling you to "give" service away. I just think we should be fair with old people. Around here there is a lot of gouging of seniors because they DO have money. I'm not in business for charity either, but I won't do things that are unethical either. Except maybe to lawyers, they pay double or more.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just a thought, in the past, I have bid a job, bid being contingent on a preliminary visit for $xxx to clean up and correct the prior guys mistakes. Once the shrubs are weeded/cleaned out/trimmed its a cakewalk after that.