Some people I Tell ya! lol

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
Had a guy call me today wanting me to give him a quote for lawn maintenance for his place in a decent area around here... I told him that my minimum is $** plus fuel and tax charges, plus extra if I have to spend extra time for overgrown lawns. He them proceeded to say that his house is a corner lot, which I came back that the minimum for that is an extra 5-10. He stuttered and was like, Well I've gone through around 5-6 lawncare co. in past 3-4 years (this put up a red flag right away with me thinking he was a nightmare of a customer) and they all charged 25-30 bucks to cut it. I freaking laughed!! And in the back of my head said that that is why they are not around anymore for charging that low! He then tried to get me to come down on my price, and I was like sorry buddy, but no chance... I'm not that desperate for his lawn and to have to put up with his wheeling and dealing.

Would love to hear some of your guys stories of something similar to this! LOL

Puddle of Oil

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well how big was the property?

OP
CTS Lawn & Landscape

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
Corner lots in most 'Cookie-cutter homes' subdivisions here are typically around half acre. while the other homes in the subdivision are 1/3 acre

jsslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree, I would have done the same.

Poorboy's landscaping

LawnSite Member
I have a guy that calls every year, He wants me to come cut the first 2 or 3 weeks in the season. Then will come up with why he has his son do it from there out. Well Like clock work he called this year. Except I told him Sorry I have no more room for new customers. I got the line of " I'm not new, I used you last year". My thoughs on this was yea right not falling again. He was upset I would not cut it.

Also had a lady call and give me a hard time on price and how she wanted it cut. We finally agreed to a price. I just figure I'd raise my price in a few week and get what I want or she be gone. Well come to find out she liked my job so much she paid me my asking price. I had her for 5 years before she end up moving this winter and now the bank owns the house.

LawnoftheMonth

LawnSite Senior Member
Today, I politely declined a fert treatment when the home owner informed me that his first application would be free since "he didn't know me yet".

He found me on a highly reputable website that I have a service award with and outstanding reviews as well. No thanks.

zechstoker

LawnSite Senior Member
We had a landlord sign up for service at one of his rental homes, and everytime we showed up, we noticed the lawn had just been cut earlier that day. After 2 weeks of this, we gave up on it. Customer claimed he fired the other LCO, but obviously the guy was still coming out and doing the work.
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker

LawnSite Senior Member
Another real winner: last summer while I was out on my route, I was approached by a woman at a gas station. She was hitting me up for gas money for her oversized SUV because supposedly she had to get to the airport, and was on empty. After taalking to her for a bit, she asked how much it'd be for me to cut her lawn. I told her I can't quote a price without seeing it, but I can tell you we have a $10 minimum charge. She then says "Oh, okay. So you come mow my yard, pick up my leafs, trim my bushes, and prune my trees for $10. That sounds good. I'll call you when I get home so we can get started. Thank you so much!" Really lady? You must be on crack... First, you can't even afford gas for your vehicle, and then you want me to do everything under the sun to your yard for $10? Kick rocks, broad!
Posted via Mobile Device