Some thoughts on making pulleys last longer...

GreenMan3000

LawnSite Member
I've thought about the many times i've had a pulley fail because the bearing becomes dry (no grease) over time and think i may have a solution. I recently realized that you can take a pick and remove the bearing seal from pulleys when they are removed from the mower, with a needle attachment for your grease gun you can refill the pulleys with fresh grease, replace the seal and reinstall on your mower. I think this is a great idea every spring before season starts to minimize down time and equipment costs and repairs...just my 2 cents,,,anyone doing this right now already? Should save some folks a lot of money over time lol

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I've thought about the many times i've had a pulley fail because the bearing becomes dry (no grease) over time and think i may have a solution. I recently realized that you can take a pick and remove the bearing seal from pulleys when they are removed from the mower, with a needle attachment for your grease gun you can refill the pulleys with fresh grease, replace the seal and reinstall on your mower. I think this is a great idea every spring before season starts to minimize down time and equipment costs and repairs...just my 2 cents,,,anyone doing this right now already? Should save some folks a lot of money over time lol
Wonder if some types of grease would be better than others.

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
If you have that kind of time. I just keep spares on the shelf and when they are noisy I swap them out in 10 minutes.
How long does it take to do what youre describing

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
I ain't buyin' that...
Nope !
spacers? anyways i just spray some wd-40 on them if they get squeaky. :laugh:

anyways they are probably sealed bearings so the grease should stay in there for a really long time. the ones on my deere have 1500hrs on them and no problems yet with any of the pulleys.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I put bearings in my Grasshopper at 2200 hours. I didn’t get it until 2100 hours. One spindle had different bearings. I assume the other 2 were the original bearings. As for the pulleys like the title suggests I’m fairly certain they’re original and look almost perfect at 2400 hours. But they’re cast and not that stamped steel junk.

OP
G

GreenMan3000

LawnSite Member
Guys im talking about the basic idler pulleys that have ball bearing in the center, everytime ive replaced one i've noticed it was bone dry and some had even began to rust, yes they last a long time as it is, but why replace them and spend $25-$30 bucks a pop when you can easily grease them and extend the life

OP
G

GreenMan3000

LawnSite Member
what im describing takes maybe 15 minutes, however i usually spend more time looking for tools than using them when im playing mechanic lol

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
but why replace them and spend $25-$30 bucks a pop when you can easily grease them and extend the life
Easily ?? Not ! Mayhaps fer you, but not fer most mower owners, more like a serious P.I.A.
As a highly trained professional, with a degree in shade tree mechanics, I can tell ya that most all them idler bearings are not high grade , and by the time ya notice em gettin noisy, etc. they're already on the way out.
Pretty much a waste of time if ya ask me. Not many are gonna go thru all that trouble.

As an aside, I posted quite a while back about how to replace the bearings in the idlers. Plus ya can use a better grade of sealed bearing when ya replace em. Obviously, not something everybody is able to do, or will want to do, but can save ya money.

'Course the hot lick is to use the idlers with metal sleeves in them as weeze alluded to...no bearings to run dry, right ?

Last edited: