Sometimes getting fired from a customer is awesome

JackJohnson2323

LawnSite Member
I had a lady that didn’t like how my walk behind mowed, didn’t ever want it cut even if it sprinkled, wanted it bagged, put in trash bags and constantly asked for more stuff to be done. Refusing to pay extra of course. Two weeks ago I was push mowing and ran over a bees nest and got lit up. I put a brick right next to where the whole was and told her about it on three separate occasions. I called her this morning and asked if she had taken care of it. She said no. I said ok well I can mow around the spot and she said “no mow over the spot” and I said “I’m not doing that because I’m going to be stung again” and she said “I don’t have time for this I’ll just find someone else” and I said ok. Then I heard her say. “Hang up the effing phone” so sometimes losing a customer feels great.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
LOL!
Where do you guys FIND these gems?

I just found a hole in a lawn and watched to see if any yellow jackets were coming out.
Yup.
I took a stick and stuck it in the ground to mark the hole.
I left a note for both my customer AND for his next door neighbor to let them know it was there, so they don't get stung.
My customer called to thank me. He was SO thankful that I cared enough to let him know about it. "I'll go out there tonight and spray it!"

I've had many others tell me to skip that part of the lawn until they had them eliminated.
What kind of person would expect you to just get stung while working on their property and not even try to do anything about it?

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
As hard as it may be, learn to say “No” when they start asking for extras or anything else and aren’t willing to pay or be thankful. You won’t regret it.

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
I am thankful I dont rely on my lawncare side hustle to pay my bills as it allows me to be very picky about the clients that I decide to mow for. Most of mine have been great, other than the ones that want me to scalp their lawns. lol

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
When they are asking for the scalp cut, say “no” lol

ebone capone

LawnSite Bronze Member
LOL!
Where do you guys FIND these gems?

I just found a hole in a lawn and watched to see if any yellow jackets were coming out.
Yup.
I took a stick and stuck it in the ground to mark the hole.
I left a note for both my customer AND for his next door neighbor to let them know it was there, so they don't get stung.
My customer called to thank me. He was SO thankful that I cared enough to let him know about it. "I'll go out there tonight and spray it!"

I've had many others tell me to skip that part of the lawn until they had them eliminated.
What kind of person would expect you to just get stung while working on their property and not even try to do anything about it?
What kind of spray works for yellow jacket nests? I’ve never been able to even faze the little bastards with wasp and hornet spray. Napalm?

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
^^^ "cut it super low cause it grows slower that way" LOL
Gonna grow the same as normal. Cutting it that low just kills the lawn and then you get the the blame. Sometimes you hafta educate the customer and refuse to help them cause problems and you just say “no” lol

Top Forums