Sometimes getting fired from a customer is awesome

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Not sure where to put this, but remembered tis thread...

Got stung by something on my temple just below my hat.
That sucker kept chasing me and got me again on the side of my nose after the third "face attack".
I don't know what it was, but it was dark - I've never had anything come "find" me to keep stinging me.
I ran a good 40 feet from where it first got me.

I will usually stand off in the distance and watch to see where they are coming from.
Yellow jackets will go in and out of a hole or from a shrub and it's easy to pinpoint where the nest is at.
I couldn't do that because this thing would not leave me alone!
I'm pretty certain it was just the one and not several of them.

I THINK I swatted it to the ground with my rag and I stomped it on the street, but I'm not 100% certain it's what stung me.
Looked more like a dark bee than anything. Was not a yellow jacket.

I'm only really familiar with yellow jackets because that's what I typically run across.

My nose is swollen.
There goes my modeling career! :(
It might have been a black wasp (generic term).
I was at a property today where they have nests under a large boulder.

They don't seem to protect the nest like yellow jackets, but they seem to come out individually rouge like and attack. They are about an inch long.

They get aggressive this time of year.

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
Horsefly perhaps? They bite, not sting but hurt like hell.

I have been attacked by horseflies and they will hunt you down, they don't give up even if you swat them out of the air. I was wading in the Columbia River in Eastern Washington, 200 yds from shore, ankle deep water on a sand bar. I swatted the bugger right out of the air when he flew at my face and he came back again and again. I was jogging for deeper water and trying to keep him in sight and I kept batting him away. Finally got him in the water and splashed him to death.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
We parked our motor home at some friends in the country for the winter one year.
When we came to fire it up in the spring, we pulled the tarp off and I was in the process of putting the batteries in.
My wife was folding up the tarp nearby.
I felt things landing on me,thought they were deer or horse Flys, by the way they would land and not fly off when you twitched. So I was swatting them when I noticed they were coming out of the cowl vent by the windshield wiper.
They were black/white stripe, with a non segmented body.
I yelled at my wife to run for the truck.
I didn't get stung,she was hit 3 times.
We sat in the truck and they attacked the truck for 20 minutes, while we formulated a plan. It was about 7 pm. So we decided to run to town and get some wsdp& hornet spray and by the time we got back they should all be settled in and hopefully thr spray would reach down in the fender where the nest was.
They chased us down the driveway when we left.
We could hear them hitting the glass and sheet metal.

Oklawnhoma Lawn Service

LawnSite Senior Member
LOL!
Where do you guys FIND these gems?

I just found a hole in a lawn and watched to see if any yellow jackets were coming out.
Yup.
I took a stick and stuck it in the ground to mark the hole.
I left a note for both my customer AND for his next door neighbor to let them know it was there, so they don't get stung.
My customer called to thank me. He was SO thankful that I cared enough to let him know about it. "I'll go out there tonight and spray it!"

I've had many others tell me to skip that part of the lawn until they had them eliminated.
What kind of person would expect you to just get stung while working on their property and not even try to do anything about it?

A Karen

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Not sure where to put this, but remembered tis thread...

Got stung by something on my temple just below my hat.
That sucker kept chasing me and got me again on the side of my nose after the third "face attack".
I don't know what it was, but it was dark - I've never had anything come "find" me to keep stinging me.
I ran a good 40 feet from where it first got me.

I will usually stand off in the distance and watch to see where they are coming from.
Yellow jackets will go in and out of a hole or from a shrub and it's easy to pinpoint where the nest is at.
I couldn't do that because this thing would not leave me alone!
I'm pretty certain it was just the one and not several of them.

I THINK I swatted it to the ground with my rag and I stomped it on the street, but I'm not 100% certain it's what stung me.

I'm only really familiar with yellow jackets because that's what I typically run across.

My nose is swollen.
There goes my modeling career! :(
I've been chased by bumble bees once. They nest in the ground and apparently I stepped on the hole. Never once been bothered by them in 40 years. Got stung 3 times that day

MikeyVedia

LawnSite Member
I must be one of the very few that doesn't have a problem doing what most of you take as an insult and feel as if you should be compensated for the extra's. With that attitude it's a wonder you stay in business . Doing the extra's is one reason I have kept the customers who hired me and I have enough of them to be at a point where I can pick my work which means I can name my price, take it or leave it. I haven't forgotten the time that I only had 4 customers and how important they were as were the one's who hired me after . I've been stung multiple times but instead of crying about it I took care of it and you know what....it was easy!!

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You must be rollin in da dough then.......

SouthEastTurf

LawnSite Member
It's a gray area, because technically you can't apply an insecticide without an applicator’s license in my state. Back when I worked on swimming pools, it wouldn’t be uncommon for fire ants to build giant nest near the pump equipment. If you were going to work on it, you really had no choice but to kill the ants. I didn’t want to come back and I wanted the work so I would just carry a couple cans of raid ant killer, spend 15 minutes kicking the bed and spraying the hell out of it and the surrounding area. If was a good yard I would handle it somehow, but in OP’s case it sounds like it was not a good customer anyways.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I had forgotten what this thread was about when the OP started it.

One of my customers that I mentioned earlier who killed a yellow jacket nest as soon as I told him about it ended up having to pay $250 to have a company come and kill another nest.

For about 5 week, there were yellow jackets going in and out of a crack at the base of the concrete pad at his front door.
They were very active and I would get as close as I felt comfortable when trimming, but I didn't trim everything.
He emptied 5 or 6 cans of spray over a few weeks with no luck, before calling in a pest control service.

It worked.

xxl

LawnSite Senior Member
I had forgotten what this thread was about when the OP started it.

One of my customers that I mentioned earlier who killed a yellow jacket nest as soon as I told him about it ended up having to pay $250 to have a company come and kill another nest.

For about 5 week, there were yellow jackets going in and out of a crack at the base of the concrete pad at his front door.
They were very active and I would get as close as I felt comfortable when trimming, but I didn't trim everything.
He emptied 5 or 6 cans of spray over a few weeks with no luck, before calling in a pest control service.

It worked.
Sometimes they have multipie holes. If they only have one throw a bucket over it for a few days.

Top Forums