Sometimes I get overly detailed on notes

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
I've looked at a lot of systems that were not only podunk from the git, but had 'others' do add-ons that made the operation worse. It's best, at that time, to take a deep breath and say, "There is no fix, the landscape has been modified so much and all I see are band aids; start over with a new design and a fresh installation, you then have my parts and labor warranty.":nod:

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
I never found the hot mess service discoveries to be a source of vast profit. Homeowner unhappiness over what they have tends to bleed over in the direction of the guys handing them the bad news.
That's true.

Another thing that happens is when you service a crappy system for years and mention to the client that they should upgrade. You tell them for several years in a row.

Then they turn to you and say-"Well, didn't you put it in"?? I've had this happen to me at least a dozen times. I look them in the eye and tell them (if I know) the original installer's name and the fact that they are out of business and with good reason. If I don't know my next query is "Where did you ever get that idea"? Most then realize their mistake and apologize.

A few become adamant. Those I toss back in the general pool for another contractor to become "their installer of record" (at least in their minds).

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
I've looked at a lot of systems that were not only podunk from the git, but had 'others' do add-ons that made the operation worse. It's best, at that time, to take a deep breath and say, "There is no fix, the landscape has been modified so much and all I see are band aids; start over with a new design and a fresh installation, you then have my parts and labor warranty.":nod:

i did a repair the other day on a "single street developement" where the developer had an "irrigation hobby"

after the homes were built, he trenched the whole high end street at one time, and installed into the same trenches:

...homeowner system: each home has 1-4 zones to cover special areas and flower beds.

and

...a community system: that waters the front and back lawns of each house, its controlled by a "lawn service company"

the lateral lines for both share the same ditches.

:wall

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
The one I will always remember was a large site (waterfront, natch) that I wanted. Did the measuring, drew up a set of rough plans, and made the presentation with my cuts sheets. The guy freaked out, told me there were WAAY too many heads, and all but accused me of being a rip-off. Fine, crumpled up the plans and bailed. A couple of years later, I get a phone message from the same guy that his system (by others) is all screwed up. He'd forgotten that I was the one who bailed. Did I return his numerous calls? HELL NO!

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
The one I will always remember was a large site (waterfront, natch) that I wanted. Did the measuring, drew up a set of rough plans, and made the presentation with my cuts sheets. The guy freaked out, told me there were WAAY too many heads, and all but accused me of being a rip-off. Fine, crumpled up the plans and bailed. A couple of years later, I get a phone message from the same guy that his system (by others) is all screwed up. He'd forgotten that I was the one who bailed. Did I return his numerous calls? HELL NO!
That would have been a great opportunity to say "I told you so, DW"

in a professional way of course

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
I agree with Mitch on this. Why get mired on some pos system with a pos homeowner that will just stress you out and screw up your schedule. It's easy to say "just have the guys work overtime". What if you have a shortage of help? I know I do. What if they are working overtime already? There is a finite number of days to get all of your accounts turned on and ready before they are actually needed. I would rather forgo a few thousand dollars for a install/renovation rather than have a bunch of my existing clients be pissed off because I haven't got to them yet. In fact I plan on turning down a $20,000 job today. I have made prior commitments and taken deposits for other jobs. I don't want to be stretched too thin and piss off everyone. This way only one person is upset.

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree with Mitch on this. Why get mired on some pos system with a pos homeowner that will just stress you out and screw up your schedule. It's easy to say "just have the guys work overtime". What if you have a shortage of help? I know I do. What if they are working overtime already? There is a finite number of days to get all of your accounts turned on and ready before they are actually needed. I would rather forgo a few thousand dollars for a install/renovation rather than have a bunch of my existing clients be pissed off because I haven't got to them yet. In fact I plan on turning down a $20,000 job today. I have made prior commitments and taken deposits for other jobs. I don't want to be stretched too thin and piss off everyone. This way only one person is upset.
I know the feeling-keep your current clients happy-the rest will follow in its own time.

Srlance31

LawnSite Senior Member
Best thing to do for yourself and the customer: here’s what’s wrong and my estimate to fix or replace it. If they want the work done then make it worth your time to do.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a new site I wanted, but did not really get along with the would-be client. Spent a lot of time measuring, and the 'client' said, "JC, with all the time you've spent measuring, you could have put the system in by now!" That did it, that was 'The Sign' I'd been looking for: bailed. The next day I get a cold call from a couple who had a new house being built and wanted me (the neighbors were clients) to ramrod the grounds layout. They were a nice couple, waterfront site, LOTSA Microsoft money!!!!!
I took it, and realized that if I had not followed my intuition, I would have had no time to do their 'plum job'. :nod:

Top Forums