• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Sound like a good deal?

Toro52

LawnSite Member
I got a call the other day from one of my neighbors asking me if i ant to buy his business. He has 35-40 grass accounts. He wants $20K for all the grass customers, 2exmark wb's, 1 Lazer, 6X12 trailer, and possibly his work truck, he is getting into the hardscaping business and doesnt have time to do the grass. What do you guys think i should do is $20K a good price?

HighGrass

LawnSite Bronze Member
A couple of thoughts:

1- Recently, a local guy sold his accounts and equipment. He had about 50-75 accounts, 2 trucks, 5 Mowers (2 Scags, 3- Non-commercial) Some clean-up items (Blowers, vacs etc) and a couple of trucks and trailers. Nothing in this lot was in anyhting more than fair shape. He sold the whole lot for $200,000.00!

2-If he asked for $20,000.00 he might take less.

3-Will all of these accounts stay with you? Have they been notified of the possible transition? I would get a list of the accounts so you could make a few "Random" calls.

4-Have you looked at his books? Look at the gross and net profits for last year.

5-Are there any loans on his equipment?

It sounds like an investment worth looking into, just be look at everything! GOOD LUCK!

imograss

LawnSite Senior Member
If you can be assured the clients will stay with you after the transition it sounds like a good deal. I bought my business in a similar way 6yrs ago.