• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Source for aftermarket deck spindles? For Zipper STS

fastline

LawnSite Member
Have a Zipper STS with a couple bad spindles. At least one certainly needs replaced. Curious where to go for aftermarket spindles? I will probably have to resort to fitment based on dimensions.

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you need the spindles, or just the bearings? Any bearing house can match up the bearings if you take in the old bearings, or spindle, for them to measure.

OP
F

fastline

LawnSite Member
I should be more descriptive. I am looking for an aftermarket supplier that makes replacement spindles for many different mowers, where I can obtain dimensions and specifications so I can so I can use my industrial background to select spindles the the application.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I should be more descriptive. I am looking for an aftermarket supplier that makes replacement spindles for many different mowers, where I can obtain dimensions and specifications so I can so I can use my industrial background to select spindles the the application.
Mowingman gave a really good answer, google it....

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does Zipper make their own unique spindle? If not then you should be able to find aftermarket ones fairly easily just by searching the brand and model mower with the word spindle or aftermarket spindle included.
But mowingmans suggestion of calling the manufacturer or dealer would be your best option if you can't find anything online.

OP
F

fastline

LawnSite Member
Zipper is out of business. I have torn down the spindles and this one has aftermarkets, which are slightly different but appear to be extremely common cast iron units. The issue now is that apparently no one knows how to make a GD&T drawing anymore so I will have to find an aftermarket manufacturer that will send me ALL the dimensions so I can ensure proper fit.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
but appear to be extremely common cast iron units.
Really ? How did you determine that ? Most aftermarket spindles are cast chinesium units. Made in china. Have you tried Stens ? Oregon ? etc. ?
Yer best bet is to do what Mowingman suggested ! Them dealers would prolly know what spindles would work.