• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

south jersey sod job

bigviclbi

LawnSite Senior Member
I got a call from some people we did a big hardscape install to give a price on 6000 sq. feet of sod. Qoute from sod farm is 16 cents a sf delivered for a price of 960.00. If I use four or five guys how long can I expect to take with no grading or adding soil? Can I reasonably expect to finish in 10 hours with 5 guys? I would charge them $2500.00 roughly .42 a sq ft. I have bid .50 a sq ft in past but jobs were smaller plus these people were great customers and I want to give them a fair price. Thanks for any input.

General Grounds

LawnSite Senior Member
:blob3: you should easily be able to get done in 6 hours or so with 5-6 guys esp. with no grading or topsoil. price isnt bad i just did a 10,000 sg ft. job and charged .65 per sg we did it in 6 hours with 8 guys. good luck, tony

General Grounds

LawnSite Senior Member
:blob3: well than i guess ill be cheap it takes alot of people to make $4000.00, we happened to do it in 6 hours, so my cheap ass will laugh all the way to the bank.

AintNoFun

LawnSite Bronze Member
General Grounds said:
:blob3: well than i guess ill be cheap it takes alot of people to make $4000.00, we happened to do it in 6 hours, so my cheap ass will laugh all the way to the bank.

gee only four grand in 6 hours... ya know bobby does landscaping consulting you should hire him.. j/k

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
he said $2500 for the job. where did u get 4 grand? $2500 minus the sod, 6 men, and a days operating costs = around $800. did i miss something?

AL Inc

LawnSite Bronze Member
Go over those numbers again, BG Tony said 10,000 sf @ .65=$6500.

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
6000 sq ft of sod. purchase price of $960 delivered. 5-6 men, 6 hrs each, for a total price of $2500. so, where did i look at this wrong?

AL Inc

LawnSite Bronze Member
My bad BG, you were referring to the first post, I thought you were looking at General Grounds. You're right, $2500 is low for that job.

OP
B

bigviclbi

LawnSite Senior Member
If it will take me 7 hours with 5 guys thats 35 manhours x $50.00 a manhour=$1750 +$960.00 sod =$2710.00 These people just did $20,000 hardscape job with me so this price is high enough for me. Thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it and it also gives me confidence when I look at bids and I say to myself "I need to charge more."