Southern Lawns Burning

Leighton Lee

LawnSite Member
Over the last month we've been applying Drive (crabgrass) and 3D (broadleaf weeds) on our Zoysia and Bermuda lawns at the rate it calls for. However, we've had very bad luck with them burning the lawns and we haven't been able to adequately control the weeds due to a fear of over treating.

What products do you use to control wide spectrum of weeds, during mid-late summer?

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Once the heat cranks up you can't use 3-way on bermuda, it'll burn. Have to switch to Celsius once daytime highs get to the 85-90F range. I typically combine with Certainty for sedges.

I also dump the surfactant once its over 90F out, unless I'm spraying late in the evening, like 5pm.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Label says something like .."Some injury can be expected when spot spraying at temperatures over 90 F."

Double check your rates, and calibration. Use a gallon of water and make sure it covers 2000 sqft or whatever is your normal rate plan. Do not overdose when spot spraying. No excessive pressure. Do not hold the nozzle too close to the ground. Do not spot spray when you are angry. LOL!
The label suggests more water per thousand when using the higher rates.
It is probably better to use a separate sprayer for the Drive with MSO. Apply the 3-way by itself. Awkward to carry two sprayers--so true.

I found only a slight tip burn of 3-way and MSO on northern bluegrass at 4 times the usual rate, but it doesn't get too hot in Michigan.

Is there any proof that surfactant increases the chance of burn at high temperatures?

If a product already contains surfactant--is it more risky at high temperatures? How do you know if a formulation contains surfactants?
Is MSO needed with a liquid quinclorac and 3-way product?

Label does not seem to say to add MSO to Q-4.
But mentions the chance of injury, at temps over 90, or when surfactant is added.
https://www.domyown.com/q4-plus-turf-herbicide-p-1930.html

Last edited:

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Are these irrigated lawns?
Drought stressed?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
These are the key factors related to collateral damage from herbicides. If the turf is stressed at all you can guarantee damage.
Thats what I figured

Its been a weird weather year started wet for most but seems some are in dry spots

Mr.Roberts

LawnSite Member
Over the last month we've been applying Drive (crabgrass) and 3D (broadleaf weeds) on our Zoysia and Bermuda lawns at the rate it calls for. However, we've had very bad luck with them burning the lawns and we haven't been able to adequately control the weeds due to a fear of over treating.

What products do you use to control wide spectrum of weeds, during mid-late summer?
I’ve sprayed in greater ATL for 18 years. Burning Bermuda from 3way has practically never happened to me. Not even in upper 90s.
If it does, it’s just going to be tipped, and will mow out. Good chance that what you’re seeing is mowing stress, mowing off too much at once. Common customer assumes chemical damage is the culprit. If it’s more than tip burn, then you’re mixing too heavily, or walking too slow.
Army worms are also active in some areas. I’ve seen army worms in Duluth this week.
Drive, on the other hand is kinda expected to cause temporary discoloration. I mix drive a little heavy, and don’t get more than a week of discoloration.
Have to set expectations for customers “hey you have these tough grassy weeds. We’re going to address them, but temporary discoloration up to 10 days may occur-doesn’t mean it will happen, but the label says to expect that it may. Usually with regular mowing, it’ll subside, and your weeds will be gone”. Always trivialize and down play. Never say dead, killed, burned, or fried. Always be positive. “See these weeds here, they’re declining. This temporary chlorosis in your turf is to be expected per label, and will subside with regular mowing”. *They don’t have to do anything extra. No extra watering. -This is all just a part of the process as far as the customer is to be concerned.
Certainty for sedge. Does not burn. Has some pre emergent qualities as well. Controls buttonweed and fescue clumps too.
Celsius for crabgrass. Doesn’t burn. Controls pretty much all broadleaf weeds.
Mix them together, and you have a moderate dallisgrass killer without the damage. 2 treatments with that mix will knock them out.
Haven’t used any 3way or Trimec in tank mixes in a few years except for fescue lawns.
1 spectacle,1 prodiamine, and I mix msm with my warm season tank mixes. Cheaper than 3 way.

Mr.Roberts

LawnSite Member
Liquid nitrogen when this hot is far more common of a burn than is 3way, especially on zoysia.
I’m safe if I keep it 2/3 of a lb per K on liquid nitrogen when it’s this hot. Still have to be careful on trim patterns