Spacing of junipers for full coverage

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lpranger467, Jun 16, 2019.

1. lpranger467

lpranger467 LawnSite Member

I have a steeper hill that needs to be fully covered since it cant be mowed. had considered pachysandra but I think junipers would give better year around appearance.

What type of juniper would be best ? and what kinda spacing should I shoot for ?

Thanks

2. Idlewild

Idlewild LawnSite Member

Does it have to be juniper ? Is the install for a frontage or back 40 no mans land ?
    Perhaps give yourself some credit & time to rethink your options. Juniper may seem
    like a short term solution, but they come with their own set of issues, especially if you’re considering
    a summer install.You mention pachysandra, just know that the sun exposure for both are different. If you’re in need of ideas, look around at other properties, hit up a nursery in your area or spring for an hours worth of a designers time. If you’re convinced of the juniper route, there are many varieties, but a lot of the decision may depend on what’s available from your local growers/sources.
    I would keep in mind that “dwarf” is a relative term in the juniper world. Ditto for spacing.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    lpranger467

It doesn't have to be junipers but I'm just outside of Philadelphia and I thought that they would be nice because it would be green year around are you saying that they do not spread very quickly ? I'm open to suggestions the only issue as I've got probably about 20 junipers planted so far so it would have to be something I could plant between them

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

How well are they doing?
    Whats the sun level in the desired planting location?

Mark Oomkes and Walker56 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    lpranger467

Most are doing well,,medium to low sun..they're actually not growing really fast but other than pachysandra I couldnt really think of another option

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Juniper will do better with more sun then shade theyll spread but wont run like ground cover

Vinca "myrtle" , euyonymous , and in certain situations English ivy are some options

Walker56 likes this.