1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Spare trailer tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering how many of you have a spare trailer tire with you on your travels? I just picked one up yesterday from Fleet Farm, $65, tire and rim. I think it is deffinately worth it, what do you think?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

BEEN CAUGHT WITHOUT, DEFINITLY A GOOD THING.LATER

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

all my trailer tires are used .i either keep the old ones off the car or find 'em in the trash.go cheap!

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont really have the room, and its a dual axel so i can just drive to a tire store, everything is real close by around here.

5. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

Just occurred to me this winter that it may be a good idea to have one. I called the local trailer sales place that I bought my trailer from and he let me have a tire and rim for $25. I just keep it in my truck. Good peace of mind.

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a spare for the 25 ft. trailer. None for the 16 footer. :blob3:

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I use tandon trailers, blow one ( and it can get real exciting) and I just limp in to get another. I'm carring so much spare stuff now I don't hardly have room for my stuff.

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Most 1/2 ton trucks run a 15" rim, and I think that most trailers run a 15" rim. It wouldn't hurt to run a different size for a short while on your trailer, I don't think they're straight axles.

Actually, right now, we need to get a new spare tire and rim for our 'burb. We had a flat, and we noticed that someone had put 6 lug rim in for a spare! (ours is a 5 lug)[the size was wrong too] :rolleyes:

9. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Yep, My spare is an old used car tire. Works great as a spare. I have it mounted in the corner of the trailer.

10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont have a spare, when I catch up with this insano raino I will have time to assess the situation. I think the truck spare may fit the trailer. Otherwise I will flop to a Tire Plus for a relacement.

There are a ton of things to prepare for, this is a far from dull occupation.