1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

spark arrestor removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K9LWT, Nov 1, 2001.

1. K9LWT

K9LWT LawnSite Member

Is there a downside to removing a spark arrestor? I have a Stihl BR400 that has a spark arrestor. I was told that the machine will blow better without the spark arrestor-any truth to this?

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

This is a touchy subject at times. We've done other threads on this, but not too sure where they are at.

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally pull all of my screens on my shindaiwas when I buy them. I don't bother waiting for them to clog. In my opinion they run stronger without the screens. Some people will argue the point either way, but thats what I do.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine have been gone since day 1.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Although the spark arrestor is gone from mine the answer is "Yes, there is a down side to removing the spark arrestor". Although I have never seen it happen there is a chance (especially at this time of year) that a spark could come out of your blower's red hot muffler and start some really flammable material on fire.

6. K9LWT

K9LWT LawnSite Member

OK I will continue to research the issue. Thanks.