1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Spark plug cross reference site...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gogetter, Apr 8, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

For those interested, there's a nice Cross Reference feature on this website:

www.sparkplugs.com

I've found it pretty helpful.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ok, am I making spark plugs more difficult then they need to be??

Do you really need to follow them "to the letter"?? For example, isn't a RCJ7Y the same as a CJ7Y? Just without the "R" (resistor).

And according to the definition of the "resistor" on that site, it sounds as though this isn't necessary for small engines. Am I understanding it right?

The reason I'm asking is what if I suddenly need a RCJ7Y, but the hardware store only has a CJ7Y, can I use it?

Ok, now here's another one. I have a bp blower that requires a Champion RCJ7Y, and a hedger that requires a RCJ6Y. Two different plugs right (one's 7Y, one's 6Y)?.
    But when I cross reference them to NGK plugs, I get one plug, BPMR7A.
    Does that mean I could use ANY one of them (RCJ7Y or RCJ6Y or BPMR7A) in either machine?

How EXACT do they need to be?

Thanks.

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you can use the "non resister" plug. The "resister" has a core for radio interfearance.

The 6 & 7 on the RCJ7Y & 6y are the heat range.
    The NGK BPMR7A covers both ranges.

The Champions are so close in range, you probably couldn't tell the difference.