Spartan Mowers Makes a Splash

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by tractorfactor, Oct 23, 2015.

1. tractorfactor

tractorfactor LawnSite Member

What did you guys think of the new Spartans??

www.spartanmowers.com

Full frame 1100# machine with a 1 year commercial warranty for $5,000. Crazy! Everybody was scratching their heads at how they're pulling this off.

2. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

The address of the company would lead me to believe it's a "BAD BOY" cousin from Bad Boy Blvd in Batesville, AR.

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

it doesn't matter who it is thats making them this has been coming for a long time you can only get away with selling people zero turn mowers with gasoline powered engines for $10 $12 and$14,000 before the market is going to correct itself they've been grossly horribly overpriced and us we Consumers have been stupid enough to be paying the prices and now they're going to have competition only makes sense
    Posted via Mobile Device

Grassholes and StanWilhite like this.
  4. HenryB

when I priced out in Exmark walk behind last year and was told it was a little shy of $10,000 I saw the writing on the wall
    Posted via Mobile Device PS that mower looks Bad a$$

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The full on souped up models are a little over 8k. Not bad

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ho hum, another mower that looks like a sports car. Just what we need.
    FYI: Owner of this company was one of the partners that started Bad Boy. The partners agreed to split the company, one taking the mower operations, and the other taking the UTV vehicles. Now, the UTV guy has decided to get back in the mower business.
    I guess the one good thing about this is the pricing. IF, they can build a quality mower and sell at these advertised prices, it might wake up the big boys who think they can just name their price.

7. Blackhatch

Blackhatch LawnSite Member

Gotta be honest...didn't think I would care about the look but that is a sharp looking mower.

Warranty seems solid and they seem to be using some decent components. Just wonder about the heft of the frame and long term durability.

Whats the rub on the Bad Boy mowers as well. Have a local diesel unit near me that has less than 50 hours on it. Guy wants about $8,500 for it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I've felt the same way for years. The basic layout and design of the midmount ztr hasn't changed in 20 years. Deck designs have been played with but still just welded mild steel. Now with companies buying eachother out and patents expiring it's coming down even more to what color do you want? It's become just a big marketing scheme to make guys come on here and argue to the death they have the best brand. New brands are always bashed for minor or made up reasons. Remember the ones who said BB would be gone in 3 years? A legitimate price point is always perceived as import or residential quality. Engines,hydros and many small universal parts are 3rd party and the prices are set. Steel is a set price. There is no compelling reason for a 4-8k difference in price on most models. But guys will be hesitant to buy one because they've drank orange,green or red Kool aid for so long it's inconceivable to consider this Mower is as good as the big boys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Busy Bee Boss and StanWilhite like this.
  9. HenryB

very well said
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. KV9064

KV9064 LawnSite Member

There video says a $9 mower for $5300.00. That should get some attention. Other brands have gotten to big for there britches. Time for change in the mower market.

StanWilhite likes this.