Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching using different key words without any luck.
Does anyone use an ATV with a spraying unit for fert or broad leaf control.
I've looked at the Lesco dedicated spayer & broadcast spreader unit but a quad could be used for other task through out the year.
Any recommendations on brands or where I could find a quality unit would be greatly appreciated too.
P.S. the Lesco spayer is about 4500 bucks, darn close to a quad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use an International pull behind sprayer. It also has a wand on it for more precise spraying. I pull it behind my Polaris Sportsman 400 4 X 4. I believe the sprayer is in the $400 range. I use my Quad a lot for work, especially in the spring and fall for lawn renovations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Team Gopher, I have already seen most of these sites. I was hoping to get some info from people who are using quads for this purpose.
Lombardi, thank for the Polaris plug. All the brands look solid. I will most likely go with whomever is offering the best financing.
All others are encouraged to chime in!
Thanks

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by Scraper
Hmmm....might be a good toy to get to totally write-off.
You got the "TOY" right.

If you like to keep that quad for any length in time, you wont use it to spray. It will overheat from running such slow ground speeds in 1 gear. Hard to turn, tear turf up etc....

Quads don't make good lawn sprayers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Lawn Godfather, your comments are appreciated. I'm not that worried about turning. I will be using in long stretches of ground or long arcs. These just seem to have a lot of options with all the accessories available. My main question is really more towards getting a decent sprayer for the quad. Are the dedicated models like the one from Lesco really that much better?

·
Registered
191 Posts
as long as your not just blazing through turns it won't tear it up. It might pack the grass down and make prints in the dirt underneath the grass but the grass will come back and it will act like aerating.

you don't have to be in 1st gear...i'm sure 2nd will do good too.

Also can buy less agressive front tires...those are the only ones that tear stuff up when turning when not on the gas.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I use a quad for spot spraying with a 14 gallon Fimco tank that connects to the battery with alligator clips. The tank mounts on the rear carry rack and is held in place with bungie cords. The Quad is a Honda 250 Recon. Would be nicer if automatic tranny. Used mostly for parking lots and fencelines.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by mottster
as long as your not just blazing through turns it won't tear it up. It might pack the grass down and make prints in the dirt underneath the grass but the grass will come back and it will act like aerating.

you don't have to be in 1st gear...i'm sure 2nd will do good too.
No comparison to aerating...So "like aerating" does not work.

There is no cheap substitution for the spray rig, you still need a tank to carry water. 14-25 gallons aint going to make it all day.

I said "1" gear not first gear.

Nothing beats a spray rig that can apply 2 gallons per 1000. It is actually more versatile in the lawn care biz than an ATV.

You will make more money with a skid sprayer than you will with an ATV.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
are you spraying a little or everyday how many liquid apps do u make. i have sprayed with just about anything that will work however there are many factors do you spray large areas or small homes?
i have sprayed with a quad it sucked i had a 25gal tank and 6ft spray boom very hard to keep even speed applications were not very good plus not very maneuverable. i also have a 200 gal skid sprayer cheaper than a good quad and more professional
but it had limitation's to. a backpack sprayer will work for smaller homes and is very cheep. i now have a ford E-350 stretched van
with a 100 gal tank and a lesco ride on sprayer i can fill up the tank and put 1000lb. of bag material and my ride on sprayer all inside plus a lesco push spreader and a backpack sprayer
i highly recommend a ride on sprayer it is very accurate and u waste less product i have cut my application times by 1/4 and can do more homes in a day i love that machine. go ride one see 4 u self
if you want a toy buy the quad if you want to make money buy a sprayer meant to do just that spray.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've been thinking the ATV route too, but I know I would just be using it to play with instead of work:D .- I also thought about buying a used golf cart and turning it into a spray rig. But I've thought about enough to know that what LGF is saying is right. A skid sprayer is the way to go. That will be my next big purchase.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Someone mentioned an ATV would tear up the turf if turning too fast but in my experience, at least with solid axel quads (all but the models with IRS), the rear tires turn at the same rate of speed no matter how fast you are going. ATVs tear up turf very easily in many ways if you are not careful. The trick is not to slow down, but to make broader turns. This makes it less maneuverable and therefore not the best option for use as a spraying rig unless you can do it in wide-open areas. Not trying to discourage you. Just wanted to bring this to the light before you spend $3200 - $7500 on an atv for the purpose of spraying. But its OK. We all know why you really want it! You don't have to justify to us (we're not yer wife). Got for it and ride it like you stole it! (but wear a helmet)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I had to spray the weeds in the parking lot of a local community college. I put a 25 gallon tank in the back of my gator and had a friend drive me around while I sprayed. We covered a lt of ground in a short amount of time.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
607 Posts
2002 prairie 650 4x4 100% writeoff. Wheelies better than my stander.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i can see were the atv has it's place in the application field...my friend got a spray tank kit from northern parts and heuses it for round up in parking lots...
i wonted to use it for fungicide applications but never did....

if you are into this application business .....buy a ride-on spreader and applicate....also buy the atv and enjoy yourself...

i feel that if you are going to use an atv for lawns it should be an auto trans...
ant

·
Registered
607 Posts
The most fun "tool"(writeoff) I have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.