Specification Language

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 20, 2007.

  1. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    I'm working on some 2-wire specifications as to how we'd like valves set with decoders. I don't like the word "manifold" for this situation because then we'd get valves squeezed into boxes when we specify "1 valve per box" on all our contracts except when it comes to the Hunter WVC system. I'm leaning towards the word "pod" instead. Take a look and let me know if there's a better word to use in specifications.

    Attached Files:

  2. Remote Pigtails

    Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 581

    Can't help you with this specific question but i want to throw in a thought. i realize you guys will have accurate records as to valve locations but my understanding is you will not be able to 521 those valves if they get lost. Wouldn't it be wise to use a valve box or something that will show up with a metal detector? It seems like I saw a product that will allow coded markers in each box and will register on a detector as to the one you have located.
  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    This is a pod Hayes:


    I'd go with "Valve Grouping"
  4. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    I gave that some thought also. However, this thread would then be subject to "groupies" postings. :)
  5. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Actually, I don't have asbuilts on our four newest schools. Nobody seems to think they're important.

    I've wanted to see the "ball markers" locating in use as they seem quite interesting.

    In some cases we use rectangle B-9 Christy boxes with cast iron lids for valve boxes in heavy traffic areas or where we keep losing them. We also use the G-5 round box for resilient wedge isolation valves and F-8 boxes for gate valves (both with cast iron lids) and then can use our good metal detector to find them if lost.
  6. Critical Care

    Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,654

    Only a few of us would know what these pods truly are for.

  7. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,764

    That movie scared a lot of kids away from their veggies.
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    I thought it was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" that led to the decline in veggie eating. :)
  9. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,781

    Ok, your graphic looks like one decoder to 5 valves. Pod doesn't stick right for me either and you agree or you wouldn't be asking. My first thought was valve unit, but maybe valve bank is better terminology. Does decoder valve section sound more correct for the application?
  10. Mjtrole

    Mjtrole LawnSite Member
    Messages: 226

    I"d change "pod" to "location". Just curious but do you have a sit down with the contractors after they are awarded the jobs to go over things like one valve per box and as-built drawings are expected upon completion and before the final release of the 10% retainers?

Share This Page