1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

speed bumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by peewee, Jul 11, 2001.

1. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

I am new this year to the business. I had the idea that working outside is great and I can make decent money cutting grass. I had a friend in florida with a walk behind /velky. I watched him work and thought it actually looked fun. I am a former motocross racer and this looked like riding to me. So I inquired at the only commercial dealer in town-toro. I demo'd a ztr for a day and cut about 6 or 7 acres. well the romantic vision of cutting grass blew up in smoke when I realized how bumpy lawns really are! My neck was so screwed up I couldn't turn my head for almost a week. I thought motocross was tough! I figured there is no way my neck could take that abuse constantly and opted to wear out my knees instead with a w/b and velky. I am well adjusted to it now but it blows my mind when I read these threads about cutting at 8-10mph. I can't keep the mower straight to save my life at 4 mph unless the yard is as smooth as a highway. Is it just me, I maybe need driving lessons or do all w/b's bounce. Also was the smashing I took on the ztr par for the course? Has anyone tried the ferris with suspension. How about you manufacturers using some technology and designing something more comfortable/smooth. Look forward to responses, Peewee:blob3:

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Better seat might help. You couldn't ride but you can stand?

Patience and time.............

Necks become rubbery after a couple years, we look like the bobbing dog on the back of the seat now. No more pain..........just a little wobbly!

3. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Everyone looks at us and like dam they get that much for just mowing , Well it isnt all find and dandy its hard work

my .2

4. "Quality of cut" and "acres per hour" seems to be manufacturers priorities.
    "Operator comfort" is much less a priority.
    Few commercial mowers are purchased by the person who operates them.
    Solo operators are few, and like myself often purchase used equipment.
    Dave

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

peewee, wear your old motocross kidney belt for awhile it will help take some of bounce. Oh yeah, are you making US$100 an hour yet?? Wes por folk around these here parts.

6. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

hey cantoo did you say $100/hr U.S.? I get paid in fish and beaver pelts. How fast do you go and still manage to keep a straight line? Peewee