1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Speed Feed experiences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by crammit442, Nov 19, 2017.

1. crammit442

crammit442 LawnSite Member

Like everyone else, I've got a drawer full of the "greatest ever" trimmer heads. I've played w/the Speed Feed 400 on and off for a while now and while I like the easy loading, it doesn't hold tons of line. Mine also tends to have feed problems more than I'd like. My thinking is that because the line isn't under any tension while loading that it wraps loosely and tends to not feed if its even slightly overfilled. I've also got a Maruyama M-Twist head that's very similar, but has a metal insert on the bump cap to help with wear, which is nice. My question is if I got the larger Speed Feed 450, would the additional capacity make a noticeable difference? My old Echomatic heads take longer to load, but hold more line and almost never have feed issues. With several extra spools, it's doesn't really cost me that much more time either. Does anyone use as any other trimmer head that they think is better than others. Thanks in advance.
    Charles

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Both the 450 and 400 hold 25' of line. I have put that amount into my 400 since new with no trouble at all, and it feeds flawlessly and always has with any type of line. Supposedly the older 375 and 450's are going away and only the newer 400 will remain.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

personally i went back to the regular husqvarna head on my trimmer. the speedfeed isn't any better to me. when you hold it and turn the head to wind up the trimmer line it wraps around your arm and you have to constantly pull your arm out of it and start over. it's kind of annoying to me. i guess i'm doing it wrong and you should keep that arm still and turn it with the other hand? i dunno that doesn't seem right to me either.

really i can't see it's any faster than a regular trimmer head.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Definitely faster to load, and yes, if it is wrapping your arm with line, you are twisting the wrong hand/part. Hold the lower part of the head and twist the serrated piece on top. It tensions the line right when done that way. Plus, no bump knob to snag in the grass or on roots etc like with a std head. BTW- I do love the T-35 heads, so it isn't that I am knocking them in favor of the SF.

ltdlawn likes this.
  5. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Large sf is my favorite but have read good things about the t35 on here

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i really can't notice much of a difference with either one. both are easy to load and easy to use. the big plus for the husqvarna is you just replace the little blue knob which is super cheap. the echo part isn't so cheap to replace if it wears out.

i kept the echo head as a backup for my battery powered echo trimmer and put the husqvarna head back on my husqvarna 525LK. :D

7. ZLCLawnCare

ZLCLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

the bump head on the SF is only like 5 or 6 bucks if i remember correctly.

to the OP make sure the middle piece is inserted correctly. if put in upside down it can cause issues with line breaking ect.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah the blue part on the husqvarna is like $2. :laugh: 1/3 the price.

9. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Member

I guess I am in the dark here.. but.. are these that much better than the Stihl 25-2 heads? That’s about all I know.. and I have tons of parts and keep mine up pretty good. But, all I’ve ever run is Stihl

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Far better IMO. I have a few Stihl 25-2 heads just sitting in the shop now. Both the T-35 and SF 400 are vastly superior IMP/IME..