Spending to much time backpacking selective weeds

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does anyone else find themselves spending to much time backpacking selective weeds after spraying? I’m talking nutsedge, voliet, Dallas grass ..etc. not spraying these selective weeds is not a option.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
All weeds that Pre's do not work on either because of seed size or because they are perennial. It sucks for sure...especially after 30 yrs of doing it. Such is the life of a lawn jockey...

lawndude28

LawnSite Senior Member
Can you tweak your program? What weeds are you having the most problem with? I don't even bother spraying violets in the summer, nothing i know of is effective at that time. Do you use a ride on where a herbicide is more easily available?

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
all weeds get spot sprayed off the ride on but crab,nutsedge and violets I do walk and use a handcan to spray those because of the product cost. just keep at it and youll get quicker with time. spot spraying saves a ton of product and works much better imo. do it once properly and your customers will love you for it.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Does anyone else find themselves spending to much time backpacking selective weeds after spraying? I’m talking nutsedge, voliet, Dallas grass ..etc. not spraying these selective weeds is not a option.
Do you use a ride on for fert and broadleaves? If so, you need to adapt and install tanks and pumps for the summer battle. We have even done this to our old Magnum. Three tanks. three spray systems.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Eggy, you are so right. Spot spraying is time consuming--and therefore expensive.
I suggest several 1 gallon hand sprayers with different chemicals for different weeds.
Add the solutions in the morning before you start. With luck you will not have to refill.

Not easy--but you will learn how to carry a backpack and hand sprayers at the same time. As needed strap the hand cans onto your ride-on machine.
I am sure someone has devised a method that works.
True, it is possible to hang a handcan on the back of a backpack. All you need is an S-hook or a carabiner.
Anybody else have a good suggestion? Convenient and time-saving method?

For small jobs this covers about 1000 sqft.
https://chapinmfg.com/Product/slug/chapin-1003-48-ounce-farm-and-field-hand-sprayer

Last edited:
OP
E

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
image.jpg They are lined up there...and yes still pulling hose on about 400 yards... but sedge is the worst wondering about just mixing in the tank., but cost wise... ughh