Spent 9 hours sucking up leaves.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by caseysmowing, Dec 13, 2018.

1. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Well I did my usual big vacuum job today but instead of doing 2 pickups he decided on only doing one for some reason. He got them blown on to the driveway on Saturday and then it snowed 12+ inches Sunday. Waited till Thursday when there was only a few inches of snow on them before we get a couple inches of rain Friday and Saturday. Snow was no big deal but the leaves were so packed down from the snow or whatever they used to pile up the leaves. He said he didn't use his snow plow but it sure looked like it. I'm beat and it ranks up there in my top 5 worse days doing leaves. Props to those that do curbside pickups solo.

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

When I use my leaf plow it pacs the piles kinda tight also. I use my backpack blower to loosen the pile before I vacuum them up.
    The other option is lay vac hose on ground and use a 4 tine hoe and just keep shoving leafs to hose.

hort101 likes this.
  3. caseysmowing

These were packed worse than using a leaf plow. The pitch folk wouldn't even go through the bottom 4-6 inches and the 35hp loader would only suck up the outside edges and the first 12 inches of the top of the pile. So I just rotated from using the hose and pitch fork. Only 12-15 tons of leaves. Lol

hort101, Mark Stark and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Are you saying you spent 9 hours at one site/job? And the customer originally said they would do it in 2 cleanups but changed to 1?

5. caseysmowing

The last 4-5 years I've always done 2 pickups because that is what the city does. These leaves just go to the curb but he doesn't have any curb just a right away. Emailed him at the start of the season and told him the dates of the pickups and he said he was only doing one cleanup this year. I told him that's no a good idea because the lack of room where I dump them and his driveway won't hold that many. Never heard back till I saw him on Saturday. He said his guys were blowing all day and should be done after today. I said ok I'll be there tomorrow. Then our light dusting of snow turned into 12+ inches. Had to take one load the the land fill. Pays well but very hard on the body. I'm going to tell him we need to do 2 pickups like before.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

Get the 48 diesel

The 35hp gas too weak unless you picking up immediately after you put curbside. Sold my 35. Was almost as fast to have guys hand load into dump trailer when leaves were frozen/packed/wet. And reduction Is terrible anyway when leaves in that condition so benefit of loader is minimal.

Saving my pennies for the 48

7. caseysmowing

I agree but I don't really do curbside pickups. I offer it but no one wants to pay $100 to have it done. They will spend $25 on trash bags and fill them up for some reason. How much is the 48? 12-14k working on getting the hurricane z3 when BG starts selling them. I like doing leaves but I don't like vacuuming them up.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

So 9 hours at one site? You didn't really make that clear.

So you're not going to just charge him for one pickup with twice the amount of leaves. Don't let him get away with that. How much did you charge if you don't mind saying?

9. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Casey glad you finished the big job. Family got nailed in Lynchburg with a so called dusting lol. I've been pulling 8 hour days on my days off from fd doing these cleanups with my 18hp. Think its time to upgrade but I still want a skid mount loader for mounting to the dump trailer. Is the 35 worth it or go bigger? Thanks

hort101 likes this.
  10. caseysmowing

Yes 9 hours one job. 7+ hours vacuuming plus dump run and taking 45 mins to get the truck and loader to the leaves. He said the driveway clear of snow but it has to be perfect when it's on a steep hill with a 2wd dump truck. $1000 I usually do $450 for the first pickup and $500 for the second so really he isn't spending but $50 more. Never had to do a dump run.