1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spider splice at box????

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Bad Influence, May 29, 2008.

1. Bad Influence

Bad Influence LawnSite Member

I'm having trouble properly fitting four different lines into the COM at the box. Can I spider them into two different sets. Will it damage or hurt light performance.

Thanks.

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I have done it and it is fine. I will usually run two 10s to the 12s, but honestly you could probably just use 12 since you are only pushing it a couple of inches. Just do the same volt testing at the hub and correct accordingly.

3. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you be more specific about the products and wiring configuration you're using?

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Since your reffering to spider splice I will assume your using CAST lighting and thier transformer. You should be able to fit your 4 runs in a single common tap so long as you do not overload the commons 25a capacity.

Try stripping a bit more off your wires and twisting them up tight. Its a tight fit but it should go in. I have done it many times.

Cast also offers a lug (cant think of what they call it) but its a large rubber coated part with some xl allen head set screws which will allow you to place 2 numb 10 wires off the common into one end of the lug and all of your runs in the other end of the lug. I have never needed it on a common tho with only 4 runs of wire.