Sponge dauber sprayer tip

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Coachbob, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody know of or make a dauber that can go on a sprayer wand for precision work? Or any similar solution that doesn’t require getting on knees to paint on gly?

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

3. OP
    OP
    Coachbob

oqueoque likes this.
  4. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

I use this one for beds, it is pretty good size, don't have to bend over too much and better quality than the one below.

https://barndoorag.com/smucker-drif...MI7pbE9-zM5gIVi4bACh11TQ4GEAQYAiABEgLQBfD_BwE

I use this one for turf. Its considerably smaller so you can be more precise with the gly and not kill off desirable turf. With this one you will want to get some extra tips as the wear fast.

https://www.amleo.com/weed-wand-magic-applicator-with-3-replacement-tips/p/WWATA/?kc=amlshop19n,&mkwid=sAn6LT2sr|dc&pcrid=252719813432&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=WWATA,WWATA&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&slid=&pgrid=55954920847&ptaid=pla-293946777986&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24Cozu3M5gIVEvDACh03cQIWEAQYAiABEgKI__D_BwE

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My suggestion: Use and hand sprayer or backpack. Attach a sponge to the tip with wire or a zip tie. The nozzle should go internally into the center of the sponge. Squeeze the wand handle when the sponge becomes dry and you need to moisten it with herbicide. Wipe the weeds or--press the moist sponge against them.
    If you need to grab the weeds with a long-reach grabber. More difficult--however--it should be possible if you attach the sprayer wand and sponge to one side of the gripper. Zip ties. Use a second sponge or a couple paint brushes on the other side of the grabber jaw. The second side mainly just pushes the weed against the sponge. Invent a rig. Get pictures and show us the results.
    OK?

6. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't trust that setup with gly.

Coachbob likes this.
  7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

That's been my problem every time I've tried this. Dripping is just too risky. Especially with undiluted gly.

I tried the rope wand. I first tried the drill a hole and pull the rope through. That was a drippy severe failure!

My next attempt used threaded fittings glued into the PVC, and a pair of electrical strain relief cord squeeze connectors:
    https://images.homedepot-static.com...f4d530d46941/svn/accessories-21692-64_600.jpg[​IMG]
    These compress a rubber sleeve, and allow for fine tuning of the pressure on the wicking rope, which allowed me to stop dripping entirely, but when I had it tight enough not to drip, it also didn't wick enough to be useful. I think that maybe my 12" of exposed rope was just too much, and it might work better at half of that the next time I try this.

That sponge tipped grabber idea looks promising, but instead of a sponge, I think I'd try painter's pads. Maybe buy one refill pad and cut it in half.

So far, I've had the best luck by just getting out a knife (or my clippers), slicing the weed and directly applying 41% gly with a fine dropper. It's more time consuming, but there's less collateral risk, and it seems to be really effective, even on some seriously troublesome invasive vines I deal with, whereas treating these same vines on the leaves with gly only turns individual leaves brown.

That Guy Gary and Coachbob like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Coachbob

Thank you. I like the cord-grip fitting idea to prevent leaks. Also the magic wand thing at 25 bucks looks good of it doesn’t leak. The grabber doesn’t seem ideal for me as I’m dealing with mostly prostrate weed in turf grass, as well as some low down plantains. I’m hoping to dab the rosette type weeds at their center, and possibly brush the wandering type with the dauber end. Also have some clumpy rye, orchard grass, and fescue that i would like to hit with fly and hopefully have minimal or no seeding to do.

9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

If you try it, use a LOT of teflon tape on the threads, because while electric fittings nominally use NPT threads, the thread sealing is just not plumbing quality.

Coachbob likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A sponge, brush or dauber on a stick should also work fine.
    Don't over-saturate it to avoid drips.
    You can rewet the sponge with a squirt bottle of herbicide or glyphosate solution. With a few hours of practice you can avoid drips, but get enough solution on the weed.
    Good point, Coach. For convenience you can use your knife and cut off a nasty vine. Treat the remaining stump with a glyphosate solution using a squirt bottle--but go slow--keep the pressure really low so you are applying only a few drops of 41 percent glyphosate. Wear gloves.

Coachbob likes this.