Lawn Care Forum banner

Sponsor of another forum with basic Pond/Algae Question

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tadpole 
#1 ·
Hi there, I've never posted in this forum but have been active in the Landscape Lighting Forum for some time. My apologies if this question has been discussed alot before.

At my own house we have a 6'T 4 tiered fountain with a pond style large bottom tier. I live in Tampa where its hot and sunny but the fountain is located on the north side of our house where its often shady.

Its simply tough to stop it from being green water/algae. I drop in chlorine tablets (takes care of the area right around the tablets). Weekly maintenance for a water feature seems excessive but maybe its necessary.

How do most people keep their fountains clean?
What are ur suggestions for maintenance (products, technique and frequency)?

Fountain is right next to our front door and prominent so it needs to be kept proper.

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Griffin-

While there is no permanent way to remove algae, there is one product that appears to out-perform others. It's called Fountec.

http://www.mcgrayel.com/files/fountec_product_datasheet.pdf

I would recommend a complete cleaning of the fountain before the initial application of this or any other algaecide. You don't mention what the composition of the fountain is....concrete, cast iron, fiberglass, polymer, etc.. If you still have the owner's manual for the fountain, check the recommended cleaning do's and don't's. You may nee to start with a chlorine solution. If any problem areas remain, these can be soaked with full strength vinegar for about 10 minutes (Use a saturated rag or paper towels placed over area to be treated). It is important to ascertain that the vinegar will not react with the fountains surface. Rinse and allow the fountain to thoroughly dry before refilling and adding the algaecide.

Unfortunately, your fountain may require weekly dosing of algaecide in the hotter months and less often in the winter. Alage is usually with us all year here in Florida, but explodes in the longer hot days of summer.

#3 ·
Tadpole...

Thanks for the advice. The fountain is colored concrete. I had been using chlorine (maybe 1X every 2 weeks, every once in a while we'd forget and it would be very green and then have to do a complete shock/cleanout). I'll switch to you recommendation and I guess 1X week is what is needed.

Someone might have to invent a drop in algeacide drip dispensor. Something like an IV that you hang over the side of the bottom pool so it can be more maintenance free... I'd buy one!

Thank you very much.

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.