• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Sponsored Discussion 1/27/06 - How Should Blower Performance Be Measured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
Why cant you show a chart of YOUR tested results of other brand blowers, and then show yours. If all are tested the same way, you shouln't have any problems.

Kinda like the car dyno's. They all read differently, but if all are tested on the same dyno, the results are accurate.

Maybe try NOT listing the graph as MPH or CFM, but list it as POWER or something. This way you won't get in a pissing contest with the other manufacturers. But, in any event, if your claims are as good as I think they are, you shouldn't have any problems with the other manufacturers leapfrogging your numbers.

TLS said:
Why cant you show a chart of YOUR tested results of other brand blowers, and then show yours. If all are tested the same way, you shouln't have any problems.

Kinda like the car dyno's. They all read differently, but if all are tested on the same dyno, the results are accurate.

Maybe try NOT listing the graph as MPH or CFM, but list it as POWER or something. This way you won't get in a pissing contest with the other manufacturers. But, in any event, if your claims are as good as I think they are, you shouldn't have any problems with the other manufacturers leapfrogging your numbers.
I like the dyno idea. That's exactly what we are looking for here. Would that be more easily understood and effective than photos and videos blowing a leafpile, rocks and sand, and the various bricks? Those are more real world. In your opinion, can a landscaper more easily relate to how far the debris moved or a test with a dyno?

The dangerous side of creating a test mechanism is if someone introduces a new product and claims better numbers we'll end up having to spend our time and money advertising their product to prove otherwise. They will retaliate and the pissin' match begins. I'm starting to think there are ways around any test to show the results you want. That's why there are no definitive end all be all tests for backpacks. Everyone has their own that shows their product as superior.

Do you own a blower (wheeled or backpack)? If so what kind? What were the features that made you buy it?

Mr. Force

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a 8hp Little Wonder for quite a long time. Just sold it on Ebay.

And I also own a PB-650 Echo back pack.

I may be in the market for a push blower in the future. As luck would have it, as soon as I sold this one, I got a lead on a property that I will likely NEED a new wheeled blower. My dealer currently sells Little wonder and Billy Goat.

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
I wouldn't concern yourself with the others. They sell based on NAME. You NEED to promote YOUR blower as being superior. This marketing strategy will NEED to show hard numbers. Both the competition AND yours. If you set the test, and perform it EQUALLY on ALL manufacturers' machines with consistant repeatability, other manufacturers can only be left to build more powerful blowers to trump you. If your THAT much more powerful (the videos show this) you shouldn't be afraid to publish the numbers.

In any event....PUBLISH your numbers. That alone will set you apart from the competition. You NEED something to set you apart if you want to break into this WELL established market.

TLS said:
I wouldn't concern yourself with the others. They sell based on NAME. You NEED to promote YOUR blower as being superior. This marketing strategy will NEED to show hard numbers. Both the competition AND yours. If you set the test, and perform it EQUALLY on ALL manufacturers' machines with consistant repeatability, other manufacturers can only be left to build more powerful blowers to trump you. If your THAT much more powerful (the videos show this) you shouldn't be afraid to publish the numbers.

In any event....PUBLISH your numbers. That alone will set you apart from the competition. You NEED something to set you apart if you want to break into this WELL established market.
Pushing 4, 24, and 42 pound bricks across concrete not enough to set us apart? If we publish numbers and they respond by printing even bigger numbers how does that set us apart? They simply can't blow bricks like us but anyone can make up numbers. Anyone can demo this to see if the blower pushes bricks like show but few people can afford the equipment to check the printed numbers. As you can see this is a very difficult decision No matter what I do I won't make everyone happy.

So if we had a stronger name numbers wouldn't matter? If this unit was under the Exmark, Scag, Bunton, Hustler, Toro, etc. (whatever you perceive as quality) name would it be assumed as good equipment? If it was under the questionable XYZ brand (fictional, I don't want to anger anyone) would it be assumed as poor equipment?

In short, not having a strong name we now must prove ourselves to get the strong name? How to prove ourselves is the trick.

Mr. Force

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
As for the pushing bricks part.

That could be proven fixed as well.

Surface of brick/block.

Surface of test.

Heck, they can even say their blower wasn't at MAX rpm!

Right now...if it was April and I needed a blower. And I had a choice between a Little Wonder, a Billy Goat, or a Force, I would, without a second thought buy another Little Wonder.

Your job, as a newby entering the market share, need to SHOW me, somehow, that your blower is without a doubt, bar-none, the best, most powerful, durable, and reliable blower out there. One that you can say....." Hey TLS, your old blower lasted you 20 years without a stitch of a problem. Ours is 2 weeks old, and we KNOW it will outlast those Little Wonders"....and then proceed to SHOW me how well it's built.

Right now, I'm looking at durability. I would PUSH that aspect. SHOW thicker axles, show stronger handles, show taller tires, show......etc. We know the engine is a constant. We need to know that in 20 years, when that sledgehammer hanging on the shop wall falls on the plastic inpeller housing that YOU, Mr. Force are still going to be there for parts.

At $12-1500, blowers aren't disposable like most of todays 2 cycle equipment. You need to show us why we should steer clear of the market leader and buy yours.

Gatewayuser

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mr. Force I would NOT post numbers either because there is no sense to at all, I don't buy mowers for their blade tip speed I buy them after actual hands on trials so why should it be different for this. You will sell plenty of blowers Mr. Force don't give in to what some of the members tell you.:waving:

TLS said:
As for the pushing bricks part.

That could be proven fixed as well.

Surface of brick/block.

Surface of test.

Heck, they can even say their blower wasn't at MAX rpm!

Right now...if it was April and I needed a blower. And I had a choice between a Little Wonder, a Billy Goat, or a Force, I would, without a second thought buy another Little Wonder.

Your job, as a newby entering the market share, need to SHOW me, somehow, that your blower is without a doubt, bar-none, the best, most powerful, durable, and reliable blower out there. One that you can say....." Hey TLS, your old blower lasted you 20 years without a stitch of a problem. Ours is 2 weeks old, and we KNOW it will outlast those Little Wonders"....and then proceed to SHOW me how well it's built.

Right now, I'm looking at durability. I would PUSH that aspect. SHOW thicker axles, show stronger handles, show taller tires, show......etc. We know the engine is a constant. We need to know that in 20 years, when that sledgehammer hanging on the shop wall falls on the plastic inpeller housing that YOU, Mr. Force are still going to be there for parts.

At $12-1500, blowers aren't disposable like most of todays 2 cycle equipment. You need to show us why we should steer clear of the market leader and buy yours.
I think I'm going to hug you... not in a Brokeback way... but in a thank you for some information way. We will be working on promoting the various features that will make our unit not only durable but perform better than competitive units.

I'm starting to believe that the only test that will truly change a mind is a hands on demo. Where you run one unit versus another. Jargon and numbers go out the window and the units must stand on their own.

Proving that a company will be around in 20 years will be difficult though. The are enormous companies that have been either bought out or gone out of business in the last 20 years.

Why would you choose the Little Wonder?

Mr. Force

Gatewayuser said:
Mr. Force I would NOT post numbers either because there is no sense to at all, I don't buy mowers for their blade tip speed I buy them after actual hands on trials so why should it be different for this. You will sell plenty of blowers Mr. Force don't give in to what some of the members tell you.:waving:
You're a guy who is going to want to demo the unit to be sold. Whatever I publish may get your attention but the unit is going to have to prove it's worth to you. I'll will need to make sure my brand name gets out there. The demo will sell the unit.

During the demo do you need to see it versus another unit as a reference point? Can I assume people are familiar enough with competitive units to not have to show them?

Mr. Force

Status
Not open for further replies.