Spot Spray with Z

Northern Turf Man

LawnSite Member
About to start my 2nd round up here (super short season) and will mostly be spot spraying my lawns. I've had issues before spot spraying in the middle of a lawn with my Z using a tank mix set up for .33gal/1000 (4oz/gal), especially using products with PPO inhibitors (TZone, etc). It has caused some decent turf injury. Any thoughts on mixing a tank strictly for spot spraying, mixing at the label/1000 rate of 1.1-1.5oz/gal? Would thoroughly soaking the plant at this rate achieve a good kill with lower chance of turf injury?

McFarland_Lawn_Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wow, great to see another local guy. What I do is just use a backpack for spot spraying. I did have some burn on a TTTF lawn about 3 or 4 weeks ago during that warmer humid weather, but overall good results.

OP
N

Northern Turf Man

LawnSite Member
Wow, great to see another local guy. What I do is just use a backpack for spot spraying. I did have some burn on a TTTF lawn about 3 or 4 weeks ago during that warmer humid weather, but overall good results.

Nice to see others from Maine! So using that label rate, are you thoroughly wetting the plant or just passing over quickly?
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
If you are using the boom you shouldn't have any burn issues unless the mix or weather is hot.

If you are using the hose reel you need to adjust the nozzle to something other than the stream....my hose reel applies a higher volume than the boom

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I am not sure if this would be caused by the PPO inhibitors like sulfentrazone or by triclopyr or something else.
Any ideas on this, Skip?
Do you mean you are hitting the pump button on your Z-Spray as you are passing over the weed--or do you stop--or do you slow down? Or do you use the wand?

What type of grass? Blue? Fescue? Bent? What temps? Surfactant?

nighthawk117

LawnSite Senior Member
About to start my 2nd round up here (super short season) and will mostly be spot spraying my lawns. I've had issues before spot spraying in the middle of a lawn with my Z using a tank mix set up for .33gal/1000 (4oz/gal), especially using products with PPO inhibitors (TZone, etc). It has caused some decent turf injury. Any thoughts on mixing a tank strictly for spot spraying, mixing at the label/1000 rate of 1.1-1.5oz/gal? Would thoroughly soaking the plant at this rate achieve a good kill with lower chance of turf injury?

So your mixing 4oz/gal or 64oz of product per tank fill of 16gals ? I mix 48 oz of battleship 3 per tank for spot spraying at this time. I think you might be on the hot side with your mix for current temps ?

OP
N

Northern Turf Man

LawnSite Member
So your mixing 4oz/gal or 64oz of product per tank fill of 16gals ? I mix 48 oz of battleship 3 per tank for spot spraying at this time. I think you might be on the hot side with your mix for current temps ?

I have no issues with the boom broadcast spraying, only spot spraying with the tank mixed for the broadcast rate. Even misting with TZone at that rate will burn. I mix 72oz per 18 gallon tank. So when using 48oz Battleship per tank, no burn experienced? Just a quick shot with mist/stream? It rarely ever gets warmer than 82-83 up here, mostly high 70s.
Posted via Mobile Device

nighthawk117

LawnSite Senior Member
I rarely use the hose reel/ gun , but I have used it inside a pool fence on some clover with no turf burn, using a mist.

RodneyK

LawnSite Senior Member
If using wand only I would mix at the 1.1 to 1.5 per gallon rate. Gives you more room for error. Coat the weed, I wouldn't say soak it. More volume=better coverage=better control. I would also put in the gallon tips in case I ran into an area that made more sense to use the boom on for a bit. But, hey that is just what I would do.

Top Forums