Spouse income

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JamesW, May 7, 2019.

1. JamesW

JamesW LawnSite Member

Are there any solo or small LCOs out there that has a spouse and kids and you make all the money? I’m wanting to get into the business but am a little cautious to take the plunge on account of me making all the money. I see that a lot of people take the winter off but don’t really see how they can do that with the spouse staying home.

Thanks for any reply

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I don't make all the income but a substantial amount is from me. Her job carries the insurance and gives us a discount on private school tuition and that's a big help.

sjessen, Cjames808, Doc8406 and 4 others like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s a nice way to do it

sjessen likes this.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Health insurance is the biggest issue for us, mostly because we have 2 kids. My wife has a corporate job so she gets excellent healthcare benefits (plus all the other stuff). If we had to pay $1500 or $2000 per month for healthcare insurance it would be a deal breaker.

If I were you I would price out and line up health insurance before you take the plunge.

Regarding winters off, I found that I needed to plow to keep the money flowing. If it doesn't snow in your area, you will want to find something.

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  5. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

Plow, firewood, clearing fence line, get a job for the winter such ups around the holidays ect.

6. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

By all the money what are you talking about? If it’s anywhere near 100,000 or more just stay doing what your doing.

iand likes this.
  7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I have a 9 month old and my wife went part time(13hrs) when Spring hit(last week of March).

It’s not all that hard, just have to budget really well. We budget a year in advance in both business and personal finances.

I take winters off(December-February) as well. Wouldn’t have it any other way. If I had to work all 12 months, I’d work for someone else with benefits and vacation. Kinda the perk of lawn care, work 9 months out of the year, 3 month vacation but have to pay for your own health insurance.

sjessen and Spartan57 like this.
  8. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

2 incomes is always safer than one. 100k does not equal 100k. Two 50k jobs are “safer”. I know im going to catch a lot of slack for this next comment, but i believe when you chose to have kids you gave up you “do what makes you happy” and try it part of your life. There’s responsibilities and sacrrafices. Maybe this mentality prevents 1 in 10k people from achieving their greatness and rollin in money, but those aren’t odds to gamble with when dealing with children in my book.
    If it’ll be close either way, have at it. If it’s a risk, would suggest against it.
    Nothing would please me more than doing landscape: Retaining walls, irrigation systems, patios, winery landscape design, etc. However with 4 kids ages 5 and under and a stay at home wife, that’s not an option. I firmly believe grinders get a chair when the music stops, and dreamers are left standing. Except for the 1 in 10k example.
    If you take the jump, my prayers are with you being the 1, and not the 10k. I wish you all the best! Sincerely: dream killer

GrassManKzoo, sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  9. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like weekends and evenings for you.

10. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Jealous much?