Spouse income

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JamesW, May 7, 2019.

1. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t think you’re going to pay 15 percent while only making about 12k. But if you’re only making 12k you better find a different line of work. And if you’re billing at under 30 an hour you’ve got problems that need addressed and if your bottom line is only about 40 percent for a solo operation you’ve got more problems. The bottom line is grossing 35k while working full time isn’t a sustainable number.

highlander316 likes this.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

when i posted i was talking about my personal experience with this industry. that's all i have to go by.

like i said other areas are better so it may not be as bad as it is here for the industry. i said "rich" areas but maybe that was the wrong word. to me they are rich areas because people around here don't have the money to pay for that type of thing. i guess a better word may be a more "well balanced" area?

anyways you aren't mowing 6 days a week here. i'm only able to work 4 days a week so far this season. it has been raining every weekend here for the past 3 months. rain again this weekend friday-sunday. actually it starts after lunch tomorrow on thursday then doesn't stop until sunday. :dizzy:

i have to start mowing at 6am just to get my yards in before the rain hits.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you are solo?

4. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Starting this year, no (my wife works with me full-time now). But with those numbers, yes.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

$70k a year just mowing? i don't think that's possible unless you are working 10hrs a day 7 days a week or more.

maybe you live in an area where everything is tightly close together? if that's the case then maybe you could do it.

everything is spread out here. i mow in 7 different cities/towns. average driving 40 miles a day. i work about 6hrs a day 5 days a week just to make $30k. to make $70k here i would have to work over 12hrs a day. i'm not doing that. i'd be better off to get a job working 8hrs a day with benefits. i'm not working weekends either. i didn't get into this to make my life worse. i got into this so i would have more free time outside of work.

6. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

I had 55-ish yards last year, ranging from $35 all the way up to $250. I usually mowed 5-6 days a week, and usually had a landscaping job to work on Saturdays/Sundays. I didn't always work 7 days a week, but there were a fair amount of weeks that I did.

This year, it's my wife and I, and we have 75 yards in the area. So far, we've only needed to work weekends because of rain. Though, we do have a few small landscaping projects that we need to get too.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Well I got a wife that spends all the money both my and hers! Kidding maybe?

weeze, Cam15, JLSLLC and 1 other person like this.
  8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Your not alone.

Cam15 and knox gsl like this.
  9. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Weeze posted Almost exactly as i stated. You must use as an estimated tax burden 15% of gross to be financially prudent when planning a year. And that % increases as revenue increases also. 15% if 30k is 4500. Weeze stated he pays 4K. So my rule in under 50k gross revenue using 15% of gross in tax burden holds pretty true and in this example also. For every 25k you increase gross you add to that by 2.5% to a max of 30%.
    And weeze is stating he has a truck and mower payment totaling 632 per month. That alone is 7584 per year. Haven’t touched fuel yet. So the net on his 30k:
    30k minus
    400 truck / month
    232 mower payment / month
    4000 taxes
    ? Insurance
    ? Fuel
    ? Repair
    ? Etc.
    So using the provided figures, and calculating the true net which isn’t 20k using the provided figures, 30k doesn’t make any sense.

10. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey weeze. It’s your financials and your business and I’ve read so many posts by you that I believe your a stand up guy and know your stuff.
    Like stated in another post in this thread the reason I’m commenting about the income is the OP wants to know basically if it’s doable as a sole provider with children and the most accurate info he can receive will possibly help dictate his decision. And when I hear kids mentioned it increases my sensitivity to suggestions to the OP.
    That being said: An another thread today you said you make 300 per day. And above mentioned some days it’s 200 to 250. So ballpark and say it’s 225 per day average? That’s the low side of 200 to 300. A safe estimate we’ll say. And you work 10 months out of the year. Assuming 5 days a week that’s still approx 45k per year. What am I missing so the OP can use your experience (which I know from reading your posts is a lot of very useful experience and can be beneficial to the OP). Maybe clarify?

Cam15 likes this.