Spouse income

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JamesW, May 7, 2019.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Another question...what is a 40 hour week? Are we talking about 40 billable hours? When I was mowing solo I could cut 1 lawn per hour on average. At $60 per lawn, that means grossing $2400 if things go well in a given week. I couldn't do it because I needed to be home to meet my kids off the school bus. And I didn't have the energy to cut 40 solo anyway.

Or are we talking about working from 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch, and an hour in the morning fooling around in the garage getting everything ready. That might amount to around 6 hours of productivity. Then take a day off for rain.

We all have limits to endurance. And we have different levels of drive. Each person has different expectations regarding income.

I used to have a corporate job where my manager whined about how he worked 60 hour work-weeks. He was always exhausted and complaining. However, I was usually in the office long before him, and always left after he did. I worked 40 hours max at a desk, I had it easy. He truly believed that he was a workaholic. We all thought it was funny.

hort101 likes this.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

to me the hours start when you leave the house in the morning and stop when you get back home. drive time counts as hours working even though you aren't getting paid as well as loading up equipment and changing blades or whatever. it's all part of the work we do.

i remember when i worked at honda. i had to get there at 6am even though we didn't start until 6:30am in order to set up my paint gun or whatever. we didn't even get paid for it but that was still part of the work day to me. counting drive time to and from work i worked about 11-12hrs every day yet only got paid for 8-9hrs. kindof lame if you ask me. :laugh:

but yeah i never stop for lunch. i just work straight through 6hrs or so every day. some days i have to sharpen blades or do oil changes or whatever so i may work longer on those days maybe 7-8hrs.

the common thing most of the world does is work 8hrs a day with an hour for lunch such as 8am-5pm. although it's really a 9hr work day you only get paid for 8hrs because of the hour you take for lunch. that hour isn't working. it's like taking a 1 hour break.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

Grossing 90k thats good man
    How many accounts do you have and are you solo?

4. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

Damn you are really good with your money Weeze, to save 10k is great for the numbers you are discussing.

weeze likes this.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't provide all the income either. My wife has a job and the insurance. It would be tough to be a small LCO and provide all the income for the family IMO. It could be done, but you would be working your butt off. I don't take winters off, but the load is way lighter. I have year round accounts here, but not all accounts are. You could add different services in the off season depending on where you are located. Snow removal if up north etc. I am in the south so I don't have that to deal with. But we really only have less than 3 really slow months. By the time leaf season is over, and I do the pre-christmas cleanups, I really only have 2 months that are totally dead and then it starts to pick up again with spring cleanups and pine straw apps etc...My year round accounts get me by, but I do have a huge industrial account that gets me through.

kemco likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i had $8500 in the bank now but i had to pay 3rd quarter taxes and house and truck payment so it quickly went down to $6500. :laugh:

7. landscaper22

Ugh don't even remind me about taxes. I guess I will send mine out tomorrow or maybe wait longer. I am late with them some time. lol. Which I figured out doeesn't matter as long as you end up with a refund or not owing much.

weeze likes this.
  8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

To me the hours start when I get on the computer and start to print the route sheets out at 545 every morning. Just my 2 cents.

weeze likes this.
  9. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

I live in the Washington, DC area where the cost of living is outrageous. Same here, not married and no childen.
    With how expensive it is in my area I've been thinking about relocation. There is a demand fir lawn care out here, however the prices are somehwhat low as the competition level
    is high.
    And even though this is one of the wealthiest areas in the country, the yard upkeep isnt what one might think. There ia a huge amount of transition and renters, even in the more affluent areas. With that being said, the constant influx leads to a lesser desire in civic pride, which is displayed in yard and landscape upkeep. On top of that the traffic is so insane that when I equate things pound for pound I feel like I could start a landscaping business in anither
    I can dig it man. So what do you spend your money on? You stated you have a good amount of free time, what do you enjoy doing with your time off?

10. landscaper22

I have never understood why places with a high cost of living have lawn care prices cheaper or as cheap as areas with low cost of living. we have to make a living too. No way I could live in a high cost of living area and do this if prices are so low. I had a friend in Hew Hampshire ask through by showing me pics of the yard what I would charge to mow their yard. It is a duplex with a shared yard, and not too big. But still they were complaining that their lawn service went up to $40 per cut. lol. I was like I would never have even showed up for less than that to begin with. lol

oabdu123 and weeze like this.