spray license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Schlepie, Jul 30, 2001.

  1. Schlepie

    Schlepie LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    In Texas you have to have a license to spray anything practically. I mainly want spraying for weed control, etc. Those that have a license to spray , is it worth the while and the 150.00 yrly for the license. Lone Star, your from my neck of the woods, what do ya think. Would anyone recommend the study material before the test or are they not that difficult.:confused:
  2. Schlepie

    Schlepie LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    sorry, I may have put this in the wrong section, but maybe we're still ok?
  3. SLS

    SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars
    Messages: 1,540

    I don't know how the rules are in Texas but I am in Tennessee and thought about getting a applicators license too.

    Much to my dismay I discovered that you either had to:

    1) Be verified as having worked for a licensed applicator for at least 2 years...or...

    2) Have a 4 year college degree in a related field (horticulture, arborist, etc.) ...or...

    3) Been previously licensed yourself in another state-also verifiable.

    I can get the study materials but CANNOT take the test if I can't meet one of the three requirments listed above. :(

    Check the Texas Department of Agriculture website (provided they have one).

    Tennessee has one and that is where I got this info.

    Good Luck Schlepie! :)
  4. bobbygedd

    bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ
    Messages: 10,178

    get the license. this is something u need to do to be in this business. u r going to have to spray or apply something at one time or another, it sucks having to look over yur shoulder while doing it. and if someone sees u, they will call in a complaint(got a couple of visits myself from the d.e.p, not a good feeling)
  5. SLS

    SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars
    Messages: 1,540

    ...or you could sub-contract the spray jobs to a certified applicator.

    Several LCO's around here do this and pick up dough just for setting it up...without the added expense of spray equipment, licenses, and charters...

    ..plus you won't be exposing yourself to the chemicals. ;)

    Just a 'tip' from the man at the Tennessee Department of Agriculture. :)
  6. D&V

    D&V LawnSite Member
    Messages: 24

    Does anyone know about how to get one of these licenses in the state of Florida?
  7. jeffyr

    jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 876

    Yes it is worth the $150 a year. You will make that up in no time at all. Plus if you do decide to apply without a license the fines are steep. Don't forget that additional insurance coverage may be necessary if you have the license and are applying pesticides. Even if there is no change in coverage there may be an additional insurance charge.

  8. dhicks

    dhicks Member
    Messages: 770

    SLS: Contact your county AG dept for more information. Most states have similar regulation re pesticides and who can sit for the test as all state programs recieve oversite from the EPA.

    Tennessee and Maryland are equal for the minimum requirements to take the test. However, in Maryland, the Maryland Dept of Agriculture has an agreement with several state universities to prepare students to take the test for those without prior pesticide knowledge or a 4-year degree.

    For example, in Maryland, you can take Pesticide Use and Safety course. Then you take one course or all courses in the following subspecialty for licensure: 1. Turf Grass Management,
    2. Ornimentals, or 3. Nursery Stock.

    In my case, I took Pestice Use and Safety and Turf Grass Management. Once I pass the test I can spray/treat turf grasses. If I want to treat Ornimentals, I take the course and then apply to take the ornimental test and so on.
  9. LoneStarLawn

    LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,415

    I think it worth it. We are headed towards more organic programs but not fully so we still need a license as well.

    What SLS stated about Tennessee is not the same case in Texas.

    You just have to study the material (first year) and passed the test. You have within a year to take the test after getting the materials. The years after you have to obtain continuous credits from classes you obtain your license each year. The classes I believe will keep you inform about new products and new studies about the industry.

    The price of the pesticide license is $150, but you will either have to get a Structural Pest Control license ($150) or a Nursery/Floral Certificate ($60). Then before you can even get your license after passing the test you must show proof of liability insurance that covers pesticide applications. This is where it will hit you pocket.

    It is worth it in the long run. When you get larger you can have a separate division for spraying if you wish which can make you good money.

  10. trimmasters

    trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 264

    If you live in a state that requires you to take a 4 year corse / work for some one for 2 years or be licensed in another state, why not just take the test for another state that has no such requirements, then you can use that license to get one in your state.

Share This Page