1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spray Nozzles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Apr 15, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone using the new Rain Bird XPCN nozzles? I haven't tried them yet.... feedback?

Also, the new Hunter adjustables... I heard from my distributor they recalled all the old ones before they released the new ones....

So, are they better than RB VANs?

Do the new Hunters have a matched precip rate (VANs don't even pretend to.)

And has anyone tried the new Irrigation Direct adjustables? The price is right, and from what I gather they are made in the same factory as Irritrol PRO-VANS...

http://www.irrigationdirect.com/products/db.asp?id=DSAN-8

http://www.irritrol.com/pdf/sellsheet_provan.pdf

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few of the older design, which worked, but was 'clumsy' if you bought only the 1/4 arc nozzles, and had to use the piercing tool to add more 1/4 portions to the coverage.

3. irrig8r

OTOH, looking at the Irritrol PRO-VAN specs and ID DSAN specs, they seem to have different precip/ flow characteristics...

4. irrig8r

I was using those for a handful of jobs... they seemed really inconsistent to me.

I actually like the RB 5 ft heads on 6" Xeripops. I use them where a landscape has mostly drip but needs a few pockets of spray heads for annuals, or shallow rooted groundcover around stepping stones for instance.

Easy enough to run a parallel line dedicated to the XPs, and I like the fact that they can be moved a little once installed as a landscape grows and changes.

I imagine they might be inconvenient to blow out if I lived in a climate where that was a requirement...

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would use them for the odd patch of turf, but could have used 5H or 5Q nozzles, and not much difference.

6. irrig8r

duplicate...see below

7. irrig8r

http://www.rainbird.com/drip/products/emission/XPCNDemo/index.htm

This demo suggests edge to edge coverage, IOW, no overlap necessary, no head to head coverage, but full coverage edge to edge.

I interpret that to mean that adjusted to 4 ft. radius, you can use 8 ft. spacing along one edge of a 4 ft. wide strip.

Or 8 ft. spacing and full heads adjusted at 4 ft. radius, right down the middle of an 8 ft. wide planter.

Or adjusted to 2 ft. radius, for a really narrow planter, 4 ft. spacing along one edge.

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I have XPCN's in 4' x 4' raised garden beds, and am quite pleased with their coverage. I have 2 of the quarter coverage heads placed in opposing corners of each bed. I couldn't quite buy into the full coverage by one nozzle -- but as it turns out, it might have been sufficient.

They do cover the bed in a nearly perfect square, at exactly 4 feet. I don't even have enough overspray to get the mulch on the outside of the beds wet, but the soil in the box is uniformly moistened right to the edge.

I know the pressure compensation is working, because I have two XPCN nozzles in each bed, each bed on a separate zone, on the same trunk line that serves zones where I run 4 PGP's with #10 nozzles (45 PSI & 20 GPM measured at the POC). No misting, no over-spray.

I think they're a great tool.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

According to the RB propaganda, you can put the XPCN on Xeri-Pops, which would negate the need for a parallel line, wouldn't it?

10. irrig8r

The reason I put them on a parallel line is to accomodate different watering frequencies and duration.

For instance, a bed of impatiens requires more constant moisture than nearby shrubs and trees, but not as deep.