Spray rig recommendation

LawnCruiser

LawnSite Member
I am in CT on a wooded 3 acre lot with over 1 acre of turf, multiple ~5k plots connected by trails and such. Currently using a backpack sprayer for pre-emergent and while this takes a few hours it is doable. I would like to start spraying for mosquitos, ticks and possibly aphids on my many mature hemlocks.

Would a small skid/tank type sprayer be worthy investment for all the above or just get a backpack fogger for the mosquitos/ticks and keep paying a tree spraying outfit for the aphid treatments? (2x year @ $450)

Thinking something like this:
Or this:

I feel like this small high pressure rig would take care of just about everything, but may fall short on some of the larger trees. Rated up to 30’

It could mist the mosquito control but would it be as effective as a backpack blower?

I have about zero breakthrough with my pre-emergent now, but would the tank rig make this way faster? I’d love a gregson clark spreader mate someday...

I was thinking of mounting the unit on the flatbed UTV I have. Yes, I’m just a home owner but I have a lot of yard and take pride in it. Any comments are appreciated!

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Trees and mosquito, you'll want a jd9 gun. I didn't see much difference for mosquito with a backpack vs jd9, al though a backpack was much easier to use.

Not sure if that sprayer will have enough oomph or not

Chemlawn gun for apps

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If you are talking specifically about mosquito then I suggest a solo mist sprayer or my recent purchase of a Makita 4 stroke. Misting is going to get the product where a sprayer can't. I can "float" a mist dang near 100 ft or more away from me into tree canopies etc. I can also make it courser for tick and flea. But for flea and tick I use a fan tip Jacto electric backpack. Mosquito I use one of my misters.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
A 20 gal unit will empty out pretty quickly on the hemlocks. I assume you are targeting hemlock woolly adelgids. Mature hemlocks are taller than 30 ft.
A backpack mist blower is the most effective and economical way to treat for ticks and mosquitos.

OP
L

LawnCruiser

LawnSite Member
Yeah targeting wholly adelgids, and some trees are near 50’... I don’t have the equipment to handle a larger skid right now, maybe next year.

Looks like I will be purchasing a backpack mister for the mosquitos and possibly use the electric backpack sprayer I have for the ticks....thanks for the advise!

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Phasthound is right. Hemlocks can be tall. Battery power is probably not enough for tall trees.
Backpack mister is good for all the various insects, mosquitoes, aphids (adelgid) and ticks.
Use a spreader and a granular crabgrass control for the grass; easy and quick.

OP
L

LawnCruiser

LawnSite Member
Yeah, I may go granular next year, it would be faster. It is 3x the cost though.

Is something like talstar with a mister good enough on aphids that I shouldn’t need horticultural oil treatment still? I thought hemlocks really needed to be drenched to get full coverage.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
A downside with a mister is wind. Over about 5mph and it's your neighbor's neighbors that are getting their mosquitos treated rather than your target. The solo gas backpack sprayer (not mister) has a high side pressure control that absolutely can reach pretty high up with the right gun. I think it's a 433 model 4 stroke. I haven't used it in a few years. I guess they still make them. Has a 7 gallon tank which makes it a bit top heavy.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Imidacloprid (Merit) soil or trunk injections will control HWA however I've seen major mite infestations on Hemlocks after this treatment.
Another option is Safari as a trunk spray

OP
L

LawnCruiser

LawnSite Member
Thank you all for the ideas, please keep them coming! Walking around the property today I saw no signs of disease on any of the 50+ hemlocks so the current program seems to be working. I believe it’s dormant oil twice a year and I don’t feel like the price is outrageous. Point being I’ll probably stick with the plan unless the price goes up or I get a rig that can do the job for less.

I did wind up purchasing a backpack mister, couldn’t find one locally so I ordered one of the Invatech Italia ones. Yeah, it’s not a Stihl or a solo but it’ll be here tomorrow for $325.

I do like the idea of a high pressure backpack sprayer, just don’t think it will do any of the jobs perfectly. Suppose I already knew what the right tools for the job were, just needed some encouragement lol. Thanks again!

Top Forums