1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray tech commission and production.

Discussion in 'Employment' started by turn3, Aug 2, 2018.

1. turn3

turn3 LawnSite Member

As a spray tech of almost 11 years with the same company I'm curious as that what if any commission you guys give when a tech upsells the customer. For instance, I the tech upsells a 2 may 3 app fungicide do you only pay commission on the first treatment or the total for all treatments?
    And now a question about production. We have close to 1,000 customers around 12mill sqft being treated by two guys. I don't want to over value myself but to be honest the other guy isn't all that dependable. Consistently late and calls in sick at least 1 day a month. We're about halfway through the 4th of 6 rounds. At this point I've treated roughly 8mill sqft more of our regular treatments ($50k+ in billing) that the other guy plus all the mosquito, flea & tick and probably 75%-80% of the fungicides. What kinda pay would you guys offer a tech doing that much more?

hort101 likes this.
  2. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

I’d fire the other guy and pay you your pay and half his and I would do the other 4mil feet. Just me I like to work. I would definitely keep a chart on the wall of y’alls production numbers and pay on commission. I’d also split the profit with you on any upsell. But I’m different than most.

turn3 likes this.
  3. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Platinum Member

If he's making the company money, which he is, then why are you complaining?? 1 day out of 20 days and he shows up late. Who flipping cares. I have low expectations when it comes to employees because I know people got issues and the perfect worker has already got a good job.

4. turn3

turn3 LawnSite Member

I care because whenever he calls in "sick" I get all my work plus have to pick up the slack for him and when I say consistently I mean he's late for work at least once a week and misses no less than once a month. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I showed up late without letting my boss know ahead a week or more ahead of time (usually a 7:00am doctor or dentist appt) and it's probably been 3 or 4 years since I called in sick. Generally the only time I miss is for vacation and even then I'll give 6 to 8 months notice.

Almost forgot, I help/oversee all (I think we're around 70 now) of our Christmas light installs, sells, service calls, inventory, take down and storage.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

You wont get a raise unless you ask . it doesnt matter what someone on this site would pay , its what you negotiate with the owner .

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. turn3

turn3 LawnSite Member

I was trying to get a feel on how some of you owners paid a long term employee. Just curious as to how many of you pay hourly vs salary or pay based on production.

7. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

I used to get a bonus 23yrs ago. Just out of the blue. It ment the world to me to get that extra hundred every once in a while.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  8. turn3

turn3 LawnSite Member

Just like clockwork. We get paid yesterday and the other spray tech comes down with a mystery illness last night and is unable to work today.