1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray volume less than label says!?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tebletlawns, Oct 9, 2018.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kansas City

I've seen many people on her saying they are getting 3+ thousand sq/ft per gallon. That puts it at a rate of .333 gallons per thousand. Most labels say .5+ gallons.

I know, follow the label. But still looking for input.

2. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't the dilution/spray rate depend on what you're spraying

3. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

Don't most people calibrate their equipment to say 3k per gallon, or 2k per gallon, etc? Then mix their chemicals accordingly. Or are guys re calibrating their equipment every time they spray something different?

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What are you spraying?
    One tip: don't use a sticker with 3way/4way products when spraying less than a half gal/k. Just asking for tip burn.

5. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

So here's where I'm at,

I used to spray at .5 gallons per K. That's good with what I use. Lesco 3-way, Lesco redzone, quinclorac, and surge. I recently had a bunch of issues with my exmark ride on which once it was "fixed" will not allow me to spray .5 gallons. I can only spray at 30psi which with the stock white tips gets me 3k per gallon. Been creating some new forms for my required state info and was rereading some lables.

Lesco three way shows a rate of 1.1 to 1.5 fluid ounces and .5-5 gallons per thousand. Next to that it says 3-4 pints and 5-220 gallons per acre. Is one supposed to be spot spraying and the other for broadcoast applications.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

I use Vessel 3-Way by ProKoz.( Same thing as Lesco 3-way)
    I just read it's label and it states "For KBG, PR, Berm, Zoysia- Apply 3-4 pints/acre with spray volumes ranging from 5-220 gallons per acre "OR" apply 1.1- 1.5oz/thousand with spray volumes ranging from .5 - 5 gallons/thousand"
    Word for word...
    Sounds to me like my spraying 15 gallons/acre out of my z-spray is legal.
    I'd say you are too...
    JMO
    P.S. I over emphasized the "OR"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

That's what I was thinking.

I only read the .5-5 and started freaking out and started this thread. I guess I should have read a little more:hammerhead:

Thanks for the confirmation.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

No sweat...
    I 2nd guess myself all the time. Mostly on calculations for spray rates
    Join the club...:laugh:

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Straight no frills 3way can go under .5gal/k without missing a beat.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Depending on the pest being treated you may have different application rates per acre.

Frequently (depending on product) there is a swag factor left up to the applicator/supervisor.

Take roundup for an easy example
    You can apply a range of solution/dilution not to exceed 13 ounces per gallon (depending on which formulation you’re using) or as low as 1.5 ounces per gallon
    But I typically mix 4 oz/gallon of fresh water.
    Again it all depends on what pest your treating (poison ivy? Woody plants? Newly established baby weeds?) and what formulation of concentrate you’ve got to work with.

I can babble all day about my mix rates and solutions
    But unless you’re using my exact product and using my exact equipment and nozzles and maintaining identical ground speeds... I may as well be explaining the Pythagorean theorem to you in Greek...