1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprayer nozzles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rick Reed, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Rick Reed

Rick Reed LawnSite Member

I bought this pull behind sprayer last summer at a garage sale. I was not impressed with the spray pattern when pulled over the concrete. I did not feel it covered the full width evenly. My question is what modifications can i make or should i just put two new spray tips maybe different ones on the sprayer. The pump seems to work great, i took the tips off and cleaned them and it did not seem to help. The lines definitely need replaced any advise is appreciated. The pump is a shurflo 60psi 1.4 gpm.

20200323_215200.jpg

20200323_215221.jpg

20200323_215341.jpg

20200323_215345.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure. The nozzles look like wide-area Floodjet nozzles. Slight variation--is still OK for weed control.
    Does each nozzle cover about 5 feet wide? Do the nozzles incorrectly aim straight down? Can you adjust the aim up or down ? Change angle?

With older equipment the pressure may be poor--or residue may have plugged up some critical opening.
    https://www.spraysmarter.com/liquid...s-and-nozzles/visiflo-flodjt-ss-ce-tk-vs.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    rlitman likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rick Reed

I took everything apart and removed any obstructions, I have good flow i think the tips are old and worn, i will purchase some new ones like those in the link you posted and see what happens.
    I can make them adjustable do the whole boom cam pivot. they are not now. I tried pointing the tips various ways to see what would happen.
    I believe they cover about 3 to 5 feet each, i will have top recheck though.

4. RigglePLC

I am not sure if your sprayer works with the nozzles aimed straight down. Or maybe they are a floodjet type with the nozzles aimed so the liquid flow is aimed horizontal. This is used for wide area coverage--typically giving a weed control spray swath of about 8 to 10 feet wide.
    Top performance will only occur if your pump is still strong. Of course, the pump needs plenty of voltage and current. Start the motor of your tractor. With the motor running you should measure 14.2 volts. You don't want the pump trying to run on 11 volts. The problem is the wiring may provide enough volts, but not allow the full amperage for which the pump is rated. Check for dirty, loose or corroded electrical connections. Be sure the wires are not skinny, 18 gauge is not enough. Fat wire is more likely to deliver the full voltage and needed amps.

Sometimes the pump makers are a bit optimistic about the actual output of their pumps--and the actual pressure of which they are capable. Even if it were new. Make sure connections are tight and there are no leaks. And filter O-rings are sealing tight. You don't want suction leaks.
    Is there a pressure gauge--what pressure do you have?
    You say you have good flow. How many gallons per minute? Ounces per minute per nozzle? Is there a pressure adjustment? Pressure relief valve? In-tank agitation nozzle? Demand switch system? Is the tank clean--or--crud on the bottom?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. OP
    OP
    Rick Reed

All great questions, i will have to get back to you. The only question i can answer is the wire i ran from my mower battery through the frame to the back of the mower is 10awg 600v gas and oil resistant that was given to me at some point.

6. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

your pump is way too small. You need something with 4+gpm flow. Northern tool makes a really good 5.5gpm/60psi pump.

7. RigglePLC

As long as you go slow, the setup should work. Try to apply at about 32 ounces per 1000 sqft. Most herbicides will suit that situation. For instance a three-way like Vessel--would then need about 4 ounces per gallon.

8. OP
    OP
    Rick Reed

Thanks for the information guys. Riggle i ordered the tips in the link you sent. I will install those, run new lines and make sure everything is clean, if I'm still not happy with the spray pattern i will look at some of the other options.