Sprayer or backpack mister?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gdavid, May 6, 2019.

1. Gdavid

Gdavid LawnSite Member

I’m new to trying to treat the yard for pests, but I thought I’d give it a shot. We have been seeing a number of ticks since the spring, and are anticipating gnats and mosquitos which are terrible in our yard. We’re located next to a vacant lot which has some water on it, and cannot do anything about that situation. As far as controlling the pests on our side, could someone offer some advice which is best to use to apply insecticide? A sprayer or backpack mister? If all I’m trying to treat are mosquitos and ticks is a backpack mister overkill vs using a hand pump sprayer? Thanks for your time.

2. apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

how large is the property you are trying to treat? That vacant lot isn't doing you any favors with the blood suckers

3. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the mister. You dont have to pump and can spray chemical way up in trees and down in brush. You can basically cover 10x the area you could with a pump sprayer.

4. OP
    OP
    Gdavid

Gdavid LawnSite Member

The vacant lot is about an acre that’s between 4 homes. The area I’m trying to treat is about half an acre. I’ve tried clearing what I’m able to on our immediate property line which abuts the vacant lot, but there’s only so far in I can go without being obvious to the nosy neighbor. We’ve seen more ticks in the yard and on the back door which is about 15’ from the wood line. I didn’t want to delay picking up something so I went with the My 4 Sons sprayer. It has an 11’ extension attachment if I really need it, and I can also use it to spray baseboards in the house. The neighborhood is absolutely infested with ants on top of the other mess. Though I’ve been baiting with Advion, and haven’t seen any return in the areas we traditionally see them under the siding.

5. OP
    OP
    Gdavid

Gdavid LawnSite Member

I posted another reply, but stated I ultimately got the My 4 Sons sprayer. We’ve been seeing ticks daily, and I didn’t want to delay purchasing any longer. Ants are also an issue in our neighborhood, clean home or not, everyone gets them. I figure I can use the sprayer for the baseboards, etc too. I’ve been baiting the colonies living under the siding with Advion and 375a, and I’m cautiously optimistic it’s been effective so far. They attack that stuff as soon as I put it out. Haven’t seen them return in a few areas, and have noticed significantly reduced numbers in areas where there’s heavier traffic in a block porch.