1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .


Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 12, 2002.

  1. Expert Lawns

    Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,660

    i have a lawncare business and have been doing it for 2 years now. i've never thought about spraying until several customers asked me about it. most of them want weed killer sprayed in flowerbeds and landscaping. this is a lot of area to be sprayed.

    do most of you use the backpack or handheld method? or do you just go out and buy regular spray bottles of it and apply it right from the bottle?

    i will invest in the industrial size sprayer if needed. please fill me in on this subject......the use of the sprayer, do i need to be licensed? how often do you spray..etc etc. thanks
  2. thfireman

    thfireman LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 541

    Contact your Ag exchance office for laws in your area. Most all states require a license to apply pesticides for pay or to lawns other than your own. Do a search on this site to get tons of information on this subject. Please dont attempt to start spraying before you get a license. You will need a minimum of a back pack sprayer once you are legal. The pre mix type stuff will cost you too much. Find a company like LESCO in your area that can supply you with commercial grade chemicals so you can get professional results and the knowledge they have is priceless. You will save money and make more if you use the right pesticides and have the correct training.:)
  3. Expert Lawns

    Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,660

    thanks for the info. i'll do a search and get all the info.

    how long does it take to get licensed?
  4. Scraper

    Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    PM Runner...he is in Michigan and would probably be glad to help you out with any questions you have. At least I think he'd be. ;)

    P.S. Ditto what thfireman said about unlicensed applications.
  5. Old Guy

    Old Guy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 59

    Expert Lawns,

    Call you local county extension office about a license. They will sell you a couple of books you can read, they have a review class if you like also. Take the test the next time it is offered. They will give you a schedule of testing sites. Think the price for the license is about $50.00. I passed the test so if you have half a brain you should be able to as well.
  6. I suggest you start by subbing them out to a licensed experianced fetn n squirt.

    You have a lot to learn after you get a license before you start applying.

    Having a sub do this will do (1 build you a clientel for this (2 take care of the exsisting clients you have now (3 give you some enlighenment on how it works and what results to expect (4 make you look good.

    There is so much more to this that what meets the eye, can be typed, and learned here.

    You have the not real world book to study from, then the real world bites you in the butt.

    Burn a lawn here, over fert one there, kill flowers over yander, insect infestation, fungi problem here, apply "P" (that I am assuming you cannot in your state), the list goes on and on.

Share This Page